Thread: 155s!?!?!

Vehicle
    2005 Mazda 3

155s!?!?!

hey whast up all

got a question:

good ole hayes says that tires should be 185s, but y inthe world would my previous owner have 185s on the back and 155s on the front? they're so tiny!

also..what range of rim sizes are available and is rims really worth all the $$? i mean isn't it just a beacon saying "i have $$ worth of stuff in here, steal me!"

i just say that cause crime is high were i live

paul tha :pimp:

3Geez Veteran
    Vehicle
    86 Honda Accord LXI HB 5-sp
    That would be 155/80-13's, right? Oh yeah, that's tiny all right. Are alloy's worth it? Well I thougt so, but I did go out of my way to not spend allot on them. You could get some oem rims and wheel covers from say the 96-2000 civics. They have the same 4x100mm bolt pattern and are 14". Which would be a improvement. I've seen them on our car's and they look nice.
    If you want to look for alloys here is what you need to know.
    15", 16", 17" and even 18" rims and tires will fit. Make sure that they have a 4x100mm bolt pattern. Plus the offset need's to be 40mm, do not mess with less than that, 42mm would be ok to.

Check out www.rim1.com and www.tires.com for prices.

Tire sizes for those wheels
    15" 195/50-15 or 195/55-15(closest to oem size)
    16" 205/40-16 or 205/45-16(closest to oem size)
    17" 205/40-17(closest to oem size)
    18" 215/35-18 (pretty sure you will need to do some work on the rear fender lips to make this size fit)

One thing to consider about going to at least the 15" size is that if you consider yourself a high performance type driver, you have much more high performance tire's to choose from with the 15" size and above.

Vehicle
    2005 Mazda 3

thanks!

yah there the 155/50/R13

ok so with all but the 18" are you saying they won't rub with those tires?

and not to hide my ignorance i'll just come right out and ask what the offset is

paul tha :pimp:

Vehicle
    2005 Mazda 3

oops

155/80/r13

sorry typo!

3Geez Veteran
    Vehicle
    Yes with all the tire sizes I listed, as long as you have a 40mm offset they will not rub.

What is offset? It describes were the tire will be placed on the rim.
    Ok, your looking at 3 different rims. 1 has 35mm offset, 2nd has 40mm offset and the 3rd has 42mm offset. The 35mm offset rim will place the tire 5mm closer to the outside of the car and closer to the fender lip. the 42mm offset rim will place the the tire 2mm closer to to the inside of the car and away from the fender lip.

So when the offset number gets lower you move the tire closer to the fender lip, offset goes higher and it moves the other way, towards the inside of the of the car, away from the fender lip, which could put in danger of rubbing on the suspension.

P.S. don't ever worry about asking a question from me, it's never a bother and I'll always try and answer it in a timely manner.
    Last edited by Jims 86LXI HB; 05-12-2002 at 09:22 PM.

Vehicle
    2005 Mazda 3

re: offset

is this offset a function of the rims, meaning offset is in the design of the rims, or is it something with the tire itself?

3Geez Veteran
    Vehicle
    offset is in the design of the rim. The tire are just going along for the ride.

Vehicle
    2005 Mazda 3

thanks!

k thanks for the advice

and thanks for takin' my Noob-ism

:lol

Accords

Vehicle
    1991 H23 powered Accord EX Wagon , Turbo 91 Honda CRX, and 96 Blazer LT
    mine are 205/45/17. they fit after i rolled back the fender.

Vehicle
    1991 Supra Turbo W/ 12k Miles
    Jerren.. do you have any pics of your rim/tire setup???? Also do you have a drop at all???? Thanks....
    ~NATHAN~

Vehicle
    2005 Mazda 3

rolled fender pics?

yah pics of that would give me a good idea as to what to do when i get some 17s

Vehicle
    i have no pics yet. i just got the rims/tires last week. but there is a how to about rolling the fender in the how to section if that is what you need.

Vehicle
    I have the finder done I was curious about how your car looked with 205/45-17's... Im getting ready to buy rims/tires off of my friend and I wanted to see if I should get 40 or 45's his are 205/40-17's.... also Im doing a sprint drop... 2.25" (soon)
    ~Nathan~

Vehicle
    it looks normal i suppose. lol. rolling the fender back gave me enough clearance for the 205/45/17's but i'm not sure about lowering. i suggest you go with a 40 series tire just to be safe. you would definitely be able to lower then. jim said in another thread that i should be fine if i wanted to lower. you may want to ask him.

Vehicle
    '92 Toyota Paseo
    I'm reading through here and I'm thinking "Wait a sec, if you go above the stock tire sizes, won't that mess up your speedometer?"

Doesn't larger wheel diameter = faster speed with same axel rotations? Doesn't the speedometer get it's information on the axel rotations? Is there any way to recalibrate the speedometer to match the new tires?

3Geez Veteran
    Vehicle
    Originally posted by 87DXHatch
    I'm reading through here and I'm thinking "Wait a sec, if you go above the stock tire sizes, won't that mess up your speedometer?"

Doesn't larger wheel diameter = faster speed with same axel rotations? Doesn't the speedometer get it's information on the axel rotations? Is there any way to recalibrate the speedometer to match the new tires?
    Why would you willingly go taller anyways?, What's the point?

It's my understanding that the speedo is not driven off of the wheels, so It would always read true.

Anyways the "plus" fitments for our cars are the same rolling diameter and as a added bonus, THEY FIT! NO rolling the fender needed!
    195/55-15 (only a 1% difference from stock)
    205/45-16 (same as stock)
    205/40-17 (same as stock)

Vehicle
    '92 Toyota Paseo
    As for the going taller part, I was under the impresson (read, several car guys around here told me) that going bigger on tires increases MPG.

Are you sure the speedo doesn't run off the axel? What else would it run off of? I'm saying this because the same car guys told me it would mess up the speedo to put on bigger tires.

My tires are 195s?! Is that the right size for an 87 hatch? I even have 185's on the back because they were really cheap and I was riding on skins.

Vehicle
    I also have heard that if you increase the "overall" diameter of the wheels+tires then the syncros are somewhat off... This can be corrected by reprograming the ECU to shift at different rpms 'I believe' but as Jim was saying.... the only way that you really have to worry about it is if you get some weird rim/tire configuration... like 205/55-18.... that would put you a good 2-3 inches larger then stock... the first number 185,195,205 and so on doesnt effect the syncros thats just the width of the tire touching the pavement... its only the overall hight of the tire that matters.... hope this helps.. someone please correct me if I incorrectly stated something here..... Thanks
    ~Nathan~

3Geez Veteran
    Vehicle
    Originally posted by 87DXHatch
    As for the going taller part, I was under the impresson (read, several car guys around here told me) that going bigger on tires increases MPG.

Are you sure the speedo doesn't run off the axel? What else would it run off of? I'm saying this because the same car guys told me it would mess up the speedo to put on bigger tires.

My tires are 195s?! Is that the right size for an 87 hatch? I even have 185's on the back because they were really cheap and I was riding on skins.

Ok, AERODECKUK, explained how our cars get their speed reading's. I can't find his posting, but I pm'd him and hopefully he will reply, so I can in return let you know.