Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ECU code#6

Vehicle
    10/Honda/Ridgeline

ECU code#6

Okay today i started my car up and had it idle. Then smoke comes from my engine and i touch the valve cover and its fine (warm). I touch the top of the radiator hose to the thermostat, its cold. the bottom one that goes to the black metal coolent pipe is lil warm. The ecu puts out code #6. ECT Sensor (Engine Coolant Temperature) defective circuit or unplugged / defective sensor.

Which one is it? the one on my thermostat (actually two) or the one on my radiator? Is my thermostat stuck open or close ? if any. SHit i got my conversion done and now this. I hate whem engines smoke. Any insight would help.

Vehicle
    85 Suburban, 86 Accord EX-i, 89 Accord SE-i, 90 Accord EX-R,
    The ETC should be on the thermostat housing with two wires going to it. If the top hose is cold even after the car has fully warmed up, the thermostat is stuck in the closed position.
    www.b20accord.com

Vehicle
    10/Honda/Ridgeline
    Yasu, the thing is man, i did not get it running. It was just off idle. The temp gauge on the gauge-cluster on the dash said my car was warm cause the needle was half way up. which one is it? our efi cars have 3 sensors on the thermostat.

1. Black one with just one wire
    2. Green clip
    3. White clip

Which one is that? i hope my thermostat is not bad man. dammit i dont wanna drain the thermostat again. Fux

Vehicle
    From looking at the maunal diagram, it should be TW sensor (two wires, closest the the head), then thermo switch, then the single wire sensor on the back side of the thermostat housing.
    www.b20accord.com

Vehicle
    10/Honda/Ridgeline
    Yasu, my temp gauge on the gauge cluster said my car is warmed up, but the ecu threw this code. And the top radiator hose was cold but the lower one was warm. So do u think my thermostat is stuck closed? can i just swap the internals from the carb thermostat or do u think its just better to take an efi thermo stat from the junk, swap it, see if works, if not then repair it? Thanks man.

Vehicle
    86 2.0Si JDM DOHC Accord

Cool

use a new thermostat, make sure its the correct temp rated one....about 89 degree's celcius i think.

Wasting ur time using second hand,as it may have a faulty wax pellet

You can test them by submerging in water...bring to the boil,pays to have thermometer, it ,(thermo), should be fully open at rated temp

If thermo OK, ECT is probably becoming faulty

Vehicle
    10/Honda/Ridgeline
    well the upper radiator hose is cold even when engine is warmed up. so my guess is that the thermostat just wont open up. damn thing was rusted inside. i am gonna go ahead and pull one from the junk tomorrow and see what happens with it.

Vehicle
    Just buy a new thermostat. They are only $5 and you have to change it once every few years anyways.
    www.b20accord.com

Vehicle
    10/Honda/Ridgeline
    where is the thermostat for $5????? u mean the whole thermostat is just 5 bucks?? damn, if its that dirt cheap i can get it.

Vehicle
    The thermostat is $5 at any auto store. If you are talking about the sensors, then they are more than that.
    www.b20accord.com

Vehicle
    10/Honda/Ridgeline
    yeah, thats what i thought. Lemme know what i come up with guys.

SEi User
    Vehicle
    88 lxi coupe
    ECT sensor, white socket on thermostate housing. And just go buy a new thermostate ($5-6) and the gasket. Sensor is like $30.

Vehicle
    89 Accord LX/B20A | 87 Accord Hatch "S" Stock | 94 Civic Hatch CX
    What is that Green prug for????

My car has only 1 sensor on the thermostat housing.... I guess it's for other years. (mine came from an '89)

There is indeed a hole for that sensor but it's not drilled through nor threaded

It looks like a fan sensor to me... Can anyone confirm that?

Here is what my thermostat housing looks like.

http://pages.videotron.com/omus
    3geez member since July 12 2000

I need these parts!
    https://www.3geez.com/forum/showthread.php?t=67742

SEi User
    Vehicle
    88 lxi coupe
    Yes it's for a fan switch. For the record, mine's an 88 coupe LXi. Let's figure out the differences.

Vehicle
    10/Honda/Ridgeline
    yep mine looks like the one anchocies pointed out. The one u have carot looks like the one off of a carb like i used to have. Anyways, i think the green one is for the fan which is messed up on mine, cause the fan never came on which means the Thermostat is defenitely stuck closed. so no coolent is going in. Fuck man!!!!!!!!!1 I gotta get this thing fixed.

Which sensor would put out code 6??? the black one or the white one or the green one?

Vehicle
    89 Accord LX/B20A | 87 Accord Hatch "S" Stock | 94 Civic Hatch CX
    If you look carefully at the thermostat housing, the fan will come on even if the thermostat remains closed.

The housing I showed was from an 89 SE-i. The sensor on the SE-i was located on the radiator... It may be because Honda used 2 different radiators (Denso and another company (hitachi or NS I guess)

The carb housing is much smaller and has only a 1 wire sensor for the temp gauge. It also has a vacuum thermal switch.

Ha fuck! This makes me realise I could have used my carb thermostat housing....... oh well, better have all the EFI stuff to prevent problems.

http://pages.videotron.com/omus
    3geez member since July 12 2000

I need these parts!
    https://www.3geez.com/forum/showthread.php?t=67742

SEi User
    Vehicle
    88 lxi coupe
    Yeah, the fan should come on regardless if the thermostate is shot.
    Short the green one, the fan should come on if the fan is working. The white one is the ECT sensor for the ECU.

For the LX-i, there is another sensor at the bottom of the radiator. hmmm ....intriguing

Vehicle
    10/Honda/Ridgeline
    i got a sensor on the radiator (denso) and two on the the exact same thermostat as anchovies posted. Yep it was off of a 89 Lxi and so is the radiator which is the same exact same one as my trashed one.

THe funny thing is. the temp gauge on the dash said my car was warmed up, but the engine did smoke and the upper radiator hose was cold and the bottom one was a lil warm as i mentioned.

The check engine line came on and the ECu put out this code.

Vehicle
    10/Honda/Ridgeline
    maybe my car did not run long enough for the fan to come on. Hpefully the fan relay is fine, if not i need to swap that fuckers. and yeah, the fuses are fine, both in and out.

SEi User
    Vehicle
    88 lxi coupe
    Just jump the fan wires, it'll tell you at least if the fan, relay and circuit is okie.
    For the fan to come on with the engine running, it takes probably..mmm...longer than 10-20mins at idle and probably 10mins if you rev it up 2-3k.

Vehicle
    86 2.0Si JDM DOHC Accord
    OK...here's my thought's....
    The ECU isn't getting the right signal from ECT.....ECU use's ECT signal for basic injector pulse width,...[amount of time injector opens and shuts]...when you first start car, because its cold, ECU knows that an enriched air/fuel mixture is needed because of signal from ECT and other sensor's.....when engine has warmed up ECU will get signals back from other sensor's as normal except ECT because thermostat hasn't opened allowing coolant to flow and sensor to operate correctly.....ECU gives you #6 code.....Does the smoke smell like fuel?....Like engine may be running abit rich?
    Replace thermostat,reset ECU then see what hap's....

Vehicle
    10/Honda/Ridgeline
    well the code went away today after fixing my thermostat. Hahaha, it was not stuck closed, it was a bad TW plug. Changed that. and no code, engine warmed up but fan never came on. Whats wrong now???? The fans are good cause i tested them with jumping them. But no matter how hot the car gets (smokes) the fan never comes on. Is it the relay thats the culprit? I even put a new sub cooling fan relay in my fuse box cause the carb dont have it and also the fuse #12 is in place. No matter what, the fan wont come on and its been longer that 20 mts. ANywayz, the fan relay is above the coolent resevoir right?

SEi User
    Vehicle
    88 lxi coupe
    Very unlikely that both temp switches failed. Well, it might be it, swap in new ones. Unless it's still not running hot enough for the fan to come on (what's the temp reading)?

Vehicle
    88 LX 5-speed Sedan
    The cooling fan relay is in the under hood fuse box. You can check it by swapping it with the power window relay.
    Nothin' extra

Vehicle
    10/Honda/Ridgeline
    the temp gauge on the gauge is half way up like always it used to be (different gauge though). i dont know if the fan relay might be fucked, but i will swap it and look at it. ANywayz, whats the sub cooling fan relay? is that for the 15 mts fan on after u shuf off the engine?

dj, i like ur graphic. it looks sooo cute