Hello! I suppose this is a rare topic, so I figure I should start documenting my process for anyone else who's dumb enough to spend upward of $3,500 dollars on their $400 car!
I guess I should start with some context, just so it's up to date and no one gets too confused as to what's happening in this pictures. I bought my first 3gee a year ago, and slammed it, fixed it up, and then drove it into a tree, which led me to deciding that I need to do a frame off restoration and make it the coolest one in my corner of Detroit. So I bought another as a parts car, and did a massive amount of frame swapping all of last year to this year, and figured I should put my restored vehicle on air ride since I'll be daily driving it for every summer for the rest of my life (I mean, if I finish it). But in the meantime, I fixed up my other car because I felt bad for wrecking it, and I'm currently using it as a test bed for my air ride system, so that's the car pictured here.
With that out of the way, here's the options I considered for Air Ride;
For management, I looked at;
Accuair (very expensive, super high quality) Air Lift Performance (good all around, plus their HQ is like ten minutes from my house, but that may not be true for you.) K-Sport (a little lower end, but still kinda' expensive) and Vera Air (very affordable, great way to get bags and save cash)
And bags, the only ones I know of that fit our cars are;
K-Sport (a little expensive, but have a sound reputation) and D2 Racing (best price!)
I chose to combine two companies parts for my setup, Air Lift Performance for the Management ($1500 for; Dual compressor, no bluetooth, 4 gallon-7 port tank, 1/4 inch lines, stealth edition) and D2 Struts ($1820 for all four).
As of this moment, I only have my management, but I will be buying struts either next week or by the end of this month. So from here on out, Build thread!
Starting out, I decided I would do a hardline setup, so after some general measurements, I mocked up my setup in Google Sketchup, and hacked that all full of notes so I had a general idea as to what I was getting into.
So here's management up on it's arrival, note those dual compressors!
I don't know what it's like on a Sedan or hatch, but on the coupe there's a perfect amount of room behind the spare tire that fits both compressors beautifully.
I then started mocking up a fake floor out of 3/4 inch MDF, the tank fits between the struts perfectly (the key width for building everything behind and around coupe struts is 33", just an FYI)
And from there I made a pair of "wings" so I could still have a flat floor that I could lift up in the center to access the spare/ compressors. I should also point out that I'll be wrapping the whole spare tire well as well as the bottom of all the MDF in Sounds Deadening (Nioco, for those interested in the brand)
I'll be bolting the carpet between the MDF and actual lines/tank/manifold, but here you can see how flat it all is once it's covered up.
So that's the jist of what I have so far in terms of trunk action, I'll be building a housing for three 10" subwoofers to float over the tank, but that's for a different thread
But there's also this little feature that I'm relatively proud of, since our dashboards are so sparce, there's really not much of way to install the Air controls in a place that appears factory (my goal is to keep this all quite minimal/factory in appearance.) So, in a moment of "well-duh, you dummy" I popped out the coin tray and realized that it-with a little modification- can house the Air lift control box perfectly.
So by hacking out the front lip and a little of plastic behind the pull down with a dremel, you get this;
And that's all the pictures I'm allowed to attach at the moment! Stay at the edge of your seat for ten minutes while I conjur up the next bit of nonsense!