Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 29

Thread: Strutbars and Swaybars.

  1. #1
    2.0Si User mushroom_toy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Vehicle
    1986 Honda Accord LX-i-1991 Toyota Pickup
    Location
    Gainesville, GA
    Posts
    3,300

    Strutbars and Swaybars.

    INSTALL AND DIY + PICS IN DIY SECTION!!

    After driving in the mountains last Sunday I decided it would probably best for me to start upgrading some suspension parts. Going 70 and above up and down the mountain can freak you out. I was also getting some wheel hop I believe so hoping to change that. Well I decided I'll be picking up a Vigor Rear sway bar pretty soon, and I was just wondering if yall knew of any cars that come with stock strut bars. I know a lot of high end performance cars come with them like bmws, etc, even the nissan sentra sers have em. I'm looking for something I could score at a junkyard and mod slightly or redrill to make it work. Did any older Saabs, or just any older cars have em?
    Last edited by mushroom_toy; 08-18-2007 at 10:02 PM.
    1986 Honda Accord Lx-i

    ~~NGK~~Silvania~~MSD~~Pioneer~~MSW~~Bosch~~DC Sports~~
    115WHP 116WTQ



  2. #2
    3Geez Veteran ghettogeddy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Vehicle
    88 lx sedan (R.I.P.) / 89 LX sedan(sold) / 89 lxi parts car(towed away) / 87 lxi hatch
    Location
    Antioch CA
    Posts
    9,591

    Re: Strutbars and Swaybars.

    Quote Originally Posted by mushroom_toy View Post
    After driving in the mountains last Sunday I decided it would probably best for me to start upgrading some suspension parts. Going 70 and above up and down the mountain can freak you out. I was also getting some wheel hop I believe so hoping to change that. Well I decided I'll be picking up a Vigor Rear sway bar pretty soon, and I was just wondering if yall knew of any cars that come with stock strut bars. I know a lot of high end performance cars come with them like bmws, etc, even the nissan sentra sers have em. I'm looking for something I could score at a junkyard and mod slightly or redrill to make it work. Did any older Saabs, or just any older cars have em?
    i doubt it u would just have to take mesurment from strut bolt to strut bolt and match it up with something at a jy but most stock strut bars would prolly interfer with the intake mani ud have to find something that raises up high if i were u it would prolly be easyer to just build ur own all u really need is a welder and some skill with a mesuring tape

  3. #3
    2.0Si User mushroom_toy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Vehicle
    1986 Honda Accord LX-i-1991 Toyota Pickup
    Location
    Gainesville, GA
    Posts
    3,300

    Re: Strutbars and Swaybars.

    Quote Originally Posted by ghettogeddy View Post
    i doubt it u would just have to take mesurment from strut bolt to strut bolt and match it up with something at a jy but most stock strut bars would prolly interfer with the intake mani ud have to find something that raises up high if i were u it would prolly be easyer to just build ur own all u really need is a welder and some skill with a mesuring tape
    ^Thats what I was gonna do, but I don't have a welder and don't really have any access to one either.
    1986 Honda Accord Lx-i

    ~~NGK~~Silvania~~MSD~~Pioneer~~MSW~~Bosch~~DC Sports~~
    115WHP 116WTQ

  4. #4
    Accord of the Year - 2007

    Legend_master's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Vehicle
    1988 Honda Accord, CRV B20 swap.
    Posts
    5,030

    Re: Strutbars and Swaybars.

    Quote Originally Posted by mushroom_toy View Post
    After driving in the mountains last Sunday I decided it would probably best for me to start upgrading some suspension parts. Going 70 and above up and down the mountain can freak you out. I was also getting some wheel hop I believe so hoping to change that. Well I decided I'll be picking up a Vigor Rear sway bar pretty soon, and I was just wondering if yall knew of any cars that come with stock strut bars. I know a lot of high end performance cars come with them like bmws, etc, even the nissan sentra sers have em. I'm looking for something I could score at a junkyard and mod slightly or redrill to make it work. Did any older Saabs, or just any older cars have em?
    EDIT: nevermind I thought you wanted factory sway bars.
    -My Car thread


    Shop manual <----Click here to get the 1989 Accord shop manual (clicking this will start the download of a 32meg PDF)

  5. #5
    2.0Si User mushroom_toy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Vehicle
    1986 Honda Accord LX-i-1991 Toyota Pickup
    Location
    Gainesville, GA
    Posts
    3,300

    Re: Strutbars and Swaybars.

    ^ Oh I got it covered on the sway bars just wondering about strut bars.
    1986 Honda Accord Lx-i

    ~~NGK~~Silvania~~MSD~~Pioneer~~MSW~~Bosch~~DC Sports~~
    115WHP 116WTQ

  6. #6
    Accord of the Year - 2007

    Legend_master's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Vehicle
    1988 Honda Accord, CRV B20 swap.
    Posts
    5,030

    Re: Strutbars and Swaybars.

    Quote Originally Posted by mushroom_toy View Post
    ^ Oh I got it covered on the sway bars just wondering about strut bars.

    I know a lot of newer GSR integras came with them. You might try searching Honda tech to see if anybody is selling there old ones for cheap.
    -My Car thread


    Shop manual <----Click here to get the 1989 Accord shop manual (clicking this will start the download of a 32meg PDF)

  7. #7
    2.0Si User mushroom_toy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Vehicle
    1986 Honda Accord LX-i-1991 Toyota Pickup
    Location
    Gainesville, GA
    Posts
    3,300

    Re: Strutbars and Swaybars.

    Quote Originally Posted by Legend_master View Post
    I know a lot of newer GSR integras came with them. You might try searching Honda tech to see if anybody is selling there old ones for cheap.
    Unfortunately my cheap is about $11 bucks. If I could find a strut bar similar that would work at the junkyard I could get it real cheap.
    1986 Honda Accord Lx-i

    ~~NGK~~Silvania~~MSD~~Pioneer~~MSW~~Bosch~~DC Sports~~
    115WHP 116WTQ

  8. #8
    Accord of the Year - 2007

    Legend_master's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Vehicle
    1988 Honda Accord, CRV B20 swap.
    Posts
    5,030

    Re: Strutbars and Swaybars.

    Quote Originally Posted by mushroom_toy View Post
    Unfortunately my cheap is about $11 bucks. If I could find a strut bar similar that would work at the junkyard I could get it real cheap.
    By a piece of metal cut it to the proper length, drill a hole on each end and bolt it down. Thats the only way to get an $11 strut bar. Also check out the old Mercedes, some of them came with 4 point sway bars.
    -My Car thread


    Shop manual <----Click here to get the 1989 Accord shop manual (clicking this will start the download of a 32meg PDF)

  9. #9
    2.0Si User mushroom_toy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Vehicle
    1986 Honda Accord LX-i-1991 Toyota Pickup
    Location
    Gainesville, GA
    Posts
    3,300

    Re: Strutbars and Swaybars.

    Quote Originally Posted by Legend_master View Post
    By a piece of metal cut it to the proper length, drill a hole on each end and bolt it down. Thats the only way to get an $11 strut bar. Also check out the old Mercedes, some of them came with 4 point sway bars.
    Thanks will do. The jy im going to happens to have a lot of mercedes so I guess I'll see. btw if I find one that will work i can get the strut bar for 5-10 bucks and the Vigor rear bar for 11.32.
    You dont happen to know a specific model do ya?
    1986 Honda Accord Lx-i

    ~~NGK~~Silvania~~MSD~~Pioneer~~MSW~~Bosch~~DC Sports~~
    115WHP 116WTQ

  10. #10
    Accord of the Year - 2007

    Legend_master's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Vehicle
    1988 Honda Accord, CRV B20 swap.
    Posts
    5,030

    Re: Strutbars and Swaybars.

    Quote Originally Posted by mushroom_toy View Post
    Thanks will do. The jy im going to happens to have a lot of mercedes so I guess I'll see. btw if I find one that will work i can get the strut bar for 5-10 bucks and the Vigor rear bar for 11.32.
    You dont happen to know a specific model do ya?
    Nope sorry, I just know I have seen them looking for turbos in the JY.
    -My Car thread


    Shop manual <----Click here to get the 1989 Accord shop manual (clicking this will start the download of a 32meg PDF)

  11. #11
    2.0Si User mushroom_toy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Vehicle
    1986 Honda Accord LX-i-1991 Toyota Pickup
    Location
    Gainesville, GA
    Posts
    3,300

    Re: Strutbars and Swaybars.

    Alrighty appreciate it, I guess I'll just browse, because I usually do that anyway. For anyone thats got the Vigor rear bar, did you use stock bushings, 4g bushing or other?
    1986 Honda Accord Lx-i

    ~~NGK~~Silvania~~MSD~~Pioneer~~MSW~~Bosch~~DC Sports~~
    115WHP 116WTQ

  12. #12
    3Geez Veteran MessyHonda's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Vehicle
    89 LX-i(5speed)
    Location
    Bay Area
    Posts
    22,198

    Re: Strutbars and Swaybars.

    yeah that rear vigor sway bar should help a bit.

    1989 Honda Accord LX-i
    B18c1 swap since 7/2011
    175whp and 132tq
    Redzone tuned

  13. #13

    2drSE-i's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Vehicle
    1989 Honda Accord SE-i Coupe
    Location
    Oklahoma City
    Posts
    5,284

    Re: Strutbars and Swaybars.

    im not sure if anyone has actually installed the vigor bars...i know theres alot of talk about it though. I would just take the vigor bushings
    '89 SE-i Coupe
    Awaiting Garage
    Quote Originally Posted by AccordEpicenter View Post
    its better to be retarded than advanced

  14. #14

    86AccordLxi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Vehicle
    1989 240sx FB,
    Location
    Salem, OR
    Posts
    3,058

    Re: Strutbars and Swaybars.

    Yes people have. Yes it works. Yes it's bigger than the s/t bar and the addco bar (though I'm sure the materials are different). Either way, it costs a LOT less.

    By far the best bang for your buck suspension mod.

    Alex

  15. #15
    3Geez Veteran MessyHonda's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Vehicle
    89 LX-i(5speed)
    Location
    Bay Area
    Posts
    22,198

    Re: Strutbars and Swaybars.

    yeah some one here had like 3-4 of them for sale...they are 16mm...so the same thing as a ST rear sway bar. but with out the poly bushings.

    1989 Honda Accord LX-i
    B18c1 swap since 7/2011
    175whp and 132tq
    Redzone tuned

  16. #16
    2.0Si User mushroom_toy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Vehicle
    1986 Honda Accord LX-i-1991 Toyota Pickup
    Location
    Gainesville, GA
    Posts
    3,300

    Re: Strutbars and Swaybars.

    Quote Originally Posted by MessyHonda View Post
    yeah some one here had like 3-4 of them for sale...they are 16mm...so the same thing as a ST rear sway bar. but with out the poly bushings.
    Yeah that was my friend Jason from Buford...or EstimatedProphet on here, althougyh havent heard from him in a long time.
    1986 Honda Accord Lx-i

    ~~NGK~~Silvania~~MSD~~Pioneer~~MSW~~Bosch~~DC Sports~~
    115WHP 116WTQ

  17. #17

    2drSE-i's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Vehicle
    1989 Honda Accord SE-i Coupe
    Location
    Oklahoma City
    Posts
    5,284

    Re: Strutbars and Swaybars.

    the only real notable difference is that the oem bars are hollow and the aftermarket ones are solid, although no1 has proven the difference performance wise.
    '89 SE-i Coupe
    Awaiting Garage
    Quote Originally Posted by AccordEpicenter View Post
    its better to be retarded than advanced

  18. #18
    2.0Si User mushroom_toy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Vehicle
    1986 Honda Accord LX-i-1991 Toyota Pickup
    Location
    Gainesville, GA
    Posts
    3,300

    Re: Strutbars and Swaybars.

    I know many people have said there is definitely a difference in upgrading....but I guess I'll just have to see for myself after installing it after I get it.
    1986 Honda Accord Lx-i

    ~~NGK~~Silvania~~MSD~~Pioneer~~MSW~~Bosch~~DC Sports~~
    115WHP 116WTQ

  19. #19

    2drSE-i's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Vehicle
    1989 Honda Accord SE-i Coupe
    Location
    Oklahoma City
    Posts
    5,284

    Re: Strutbars and Swaybars.

    Quote Originally Posted by mushroom_toy View Post
    I know many people have said there is definitely a difference in upgrading....but I guess I'll just have to see for myself after installing it after I get it.

    oh i meant between solid vs hollow bars.
    '89 SE-i Coupe
    Awaiting Garage
    Quote Originally Posted by AccordEpicenter View Post
    its better to be retarded than advanced

  20. #20
    2.0Si User labeledsk8r's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Vehicle
    94 accord DX coupe , 89 LX (R.I.P) , 89 LX-i Coupe (sold)
    Location
    ocala FL
    Posts
    2,567

    Re: Strutbars and Swaybars.

    you should look into seeing if sosmone is letting go a set of justins bars, i know he had made almost everything posible for bolting up includeing the front and rear tower bars, dont think he makes them anymore though so your gona have to find somsone to part with theres. and i dunno how cheep they will be but most likely not 15 bucks lol but might be something to save for

  21. #21
    2.0Si User mushroom_toy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Vehicle
    1986 Honda Accord LX-i-1991 Toyota Pickup
    Location
    Gainesville, GA
    Posts
    3,300

    Re: Strutbars and Swaybars.

    Quote Originally Posted by labeledsk8r View Post
    you should look into seeing if sosmone is letting go a set of justins bars, i know he had made almost everything posible for bolting up includeing the front and rear tower bars, dont think he makes them anymore though so your gona have to find somsone to part with theres. and i dunno how cheep they will be but most likely not 15 bucks lol but might be something to save for
    Actually I would do that, but Id rather modify or make my own. That way I possibly have the only one like that.
    1986 Honda Accord Lx-i

    ~~NGK~~Silvania~~MSD~~Pioneer~~MSW~~Bosch~~DC Sports~~
    115WHP 116WTQ

  22. #22
    2.0Si User mushroom_toy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Vehicle
    1986 Honda Accord LX-i-1991 Toyota Pickup
    Location
    Gainesville, GA
    Posts
    3,300

    Re: Strutbars and Swaybars.

    Vigor bar going in shortly! Will get plenty of pics.
    1986 Honda Accord Lx-i

    ~~NGK~~Silvania~~MSD~~Pioneer~~MSW~~Bosch~~DC Sports~~
    115WHP 116WTQ

  23. #23
    LXi User 87lxiaccord's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Vehicle
    1987 honda accord
    Location
    st.pete
    Posts
    609

    Re: Strutbars and Swaybars.

    buick regals have strut bars!

    <3 sohc
    https://www.3geez.com/forum/showthrea...t=59236&page=1
    Quote Originally Posted by Legend_master
    It's something about being unique

  24. #24
    2.0Si User mushroom_toy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Vehicle
    1986 Honda Accord LX-i-1991 Toyota Pickup
    Location
    Gainesville, GA
    Posts
    3,300

    Re: Strutbars and Swaybars.

    Quote Originally Posted by 87lxiaccord View Post
    buick regals have strut bars!

    Too bad I didnt check any american cars today. T_T
    1986 Honda Accord Lx-i

    ~~NGK~~Silvania~~MSD~~Pioneer~~MSW~~Bosch~~DC Sports~~
    115WHP 116WTQ

  25. #25
    SEi User knarg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Vehicle
    '04 Forester 2.5XT
    Location
    Fort Collins, CO
    Posts
    1,256

    Re: Strutbars and Swaybars.

    do you guys think the 4g suspension techniques bars would fit? yes?

    they are about 27mm front and 20.6mm rear

Similar Threads

  1. costom Swaybars ?!?!?!
    By blahblahblah in forum Suspension/Wheels/Tires/Brakes
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 07-15-2004, 08:42 AM

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
VigLink badge