PDA

View Full Version : n20 engagement question

bobafett
01-31-2003, 12:49 PM
ok i know you can hook up n20 where:

1) you have a master on/off toggle, and you press a momentary switch to engage nitrous.. obviously you need to be smart about when you use it! (like when not WOT)

2) you still have a master on/off switch (i would assume, but i am not 100% sure) and whever your 100% WOT the nitrous engages. obviously in this case you would need to be VERY carefull not to engage it too soon, like 1000-2000rpms, and also be more careful about throttle modulatation and be aware of when you floor it.

but i read somewhere that you can program that second method to only work withing a certain rpm range, for instance 2500-6000rpm. is this a true thing, or is it a special chip that one could buy for "common" engines but not an a20?

i really like the idea of the second method but i would feel a lot better about it if i had the safety of a danger zone where there is no chance that nitrous would be engaged.

ok you experts hows it gonna be?

dXsquared
01-31-2003, 01:01 PM
the VENOM kit is like that... its like 1200 bucks and it has a BRAIN... it contols when the NO2 sprays

Travis

79EK1
01-31-2003, 03:29 PM
MSD has a RPM activated window switch (PN 8956). It's specifically designed to allow nitrous systems to run within a certain window set by the user. You use the standard MSD rpm modules to control the range. They run about $80, rpm modules are extra.

bobafett
01-31-2003, 04:53 PM
excellent... thanks for the info!!!

OldSchoolSwap
01-31-2003, 07:12 PM
He's right. go for the MSD control module, it will do exactly what you said, activate at a certain RPM and turn off at the rpm specified.
These are safty features that can always help in those critical moments that your not thinking strait and miss a gear or what ever ;)

I haven't had a chance to buy it yet, but i will eventually. Its a pretty great feature.

Nitrous kits that come with this type of design are also a good kit for starters but they are restrictive when it comes to upgrade time and so on.

bobafett
01-31-2003, 10:05 PM
awesome. i am thinking about running a really low shot for right now, like 25-35... can i do this with a dry kit, or will i need to use wet? so far i havent seen any dry kits with jets for less than 40hp~

but it sounds like this MSD module is all i needed! could it be used for either of the nitrous setups that i mentioned above?

79EK1
01-31-2003, 11:22 PM
The MSD module is wired in series with the activation switch, so it will work with wet or dry systems. If you're trying to make your system as safe as possible, you may also want to think about a WOT microswitch. The switch is mounted so it makes contact with the throttle lever only at WOT. Anything less, and the system won't fire. It may take some fabrication to get the switch in the proper position, but it will prevent an overanxious driver from getting on the bottle too soon.

On a side note, I think you're on the right track, protecting your engine. It's way too easy to get carried away and overuse the N2O.

bobafett
01-31-2003, 11:25 PM
so you are suggesting to use the MSD for basic control, but also a WOT microswitch under the pedal? is this to be used as a preventitive measure for the "push a button to use n20"?

because at the top of the thread i mentioned that it could be hooked up that way in the first place, so n20 is used whenever the master switch is on, and you are WOT

if i had all those defenses + i used a button to spray, instead of just the pedal, i would really have to try to fry things! :)

79EK1
01-31-2003, 11:49 PM
No, I wouldn't use the microswitch and the "push button" together. It would be an either/or deal. I should have read your first post in more detail, as you mentioned. You already had it covered. Sorry for any confusion, it's late! :)

bobafett
01-31-2003, 11:51 PM
dont worry about it... :D

yeah i am trying to decide which i would rather have. on one hand, being able to know when i engage the n20 perfectly with a momentary switch would be nice. plus i get to use a switch! but the sheer stealth factor of the WOT switch would be a lot of fun! :) dunno which to choose!

Elijah
01-31-2003, 11:57 PM
The WOT swicth goes under ur hood trust me dont put it under ur pedal I did that with my first nos kit I was like 16 and ur carpet/floor mat get in the way it is a pain in the a$$ and is more dangerous then safe.

bobafett
01-31-2003, 11:59 PM
good! thanks for the corrcetion... but where i mount it aside... i am still trying to figure out which method i would rather have! :) whats your opinion on the "best" way?

lol, yeah i dont know why i assumed it went under the pedal. do you just put on the throttle cable somewhere or what?

79EK1
02-01-2003, 12:06 AM
Decisions, decisions... one advantage of the WOT switch is that you don't have to keep your finger on the button. On the other hand, the button is "The Button".

Elijah
02-01-2003, 12:06 AM
The swicth comes with a mounting bracket it mounts on ur throttle body but in our case the bracket dont want to fit properly but once you get it you will figure it out.The kit comes with it.

bobafett
02-01-2003, 12:08 AM
gotcha...

so would you guys reccomend wet or dry kit. it seems like i would rather have dry, except that i want a smaller shot that most dry kits allow!

Elijah
02-01-2003, 12:12 AM
The wet is much safer b/c it mixes fuel with n2o.So it is not as hard on ur internals.

Elijah
02-01-2003, 12:15 AM
Oh ya and you could run a 35 shot if you want jets are really easy to change if you want to go up so you could start small and work ur way up.I run 75 wet and it does not give me any proplems.
I think oldschool knows his stuff when it comes to n2o have you look at his site he has some good 411 he did his research.

bobafett
02-01-2003, 12:35 AM
yeah i have read his site several times! its very helpful!

and youre saying i could run a 35 shot of either?

i understand that wet seems better in that respect, but isnt it scary shooting gas/o2 into the TB??? anyway is wet is so much safer why do most people just settle for the dry kit?

Elijah
02-01-2003, 12:47 AM
The dry kit is cheaper and wet has not been around for as long as dry so alot of people have dry from before wet came out.And I dont see what would be scary about shooting fuel and n2o into the TB.Iam not sure but I think that only wet come with little as 35 shots.I run NX now and I'am happy with it.I still like NOS but dont care for any others.NX can be worth the extra $ imo.

bobafett
02-01-2003, 12:50 AM
yeah i am definetly looking at either NX or ZEX.... looks like wet is gonna be the way to go though. obviously i can always use bigger jets if i get bold, but there is no sense ruining my engine in a hurry, its not like even a 100shot would help me beat DSMs... lol

Elijah
02-01-2003, 12:56 AM
The kits come with all the jets so dont rush ur self into big shots sounds like ur not that foolish.And dont be afraid DSMs I drve one for winter and it is a turbo all wheeldrive.

bobafett
02-01-2003, 12:57 AM
yeah i know... i love them.. but i realize that with less than $1000 in mods they can run DEEEP 13s :) i am not gonna waste my gas!

the NTs i am not worried about though!