PDA

View Full Version : another high idle question

dysiu
03-12-2004, 12:27 PM
Hi,

Let me just tell you at the begining that my carb is free af all the diaphragms and vacuum stuff. Secondary is mechanical, no idle regulator, no AC booster... The only thing left was choke but it started giving problems (unloader) so I got rid of it as well and now the choke it's stuck open waiting for manual conversion.

Now... this nice clean carb has nothing else connected to the throttle but throttle cable... Everything is just fine most of the time but now and then, when driving for same time the idle goes up to 2000 (normally about 900) and wont go down... I always thaught that the RPM depends only on the throttle but apparently there is something else. Do you guys have any suggestions other than weeak spring or stuck cable? The idle goes down I run the car next time.

It just bothers me. I'd like to heve total control of this carb. Thanks.

Greg.

A20A1
03-12-2004, 01:58 PM
It's a spring or cable... I had simmilar troubles when I removed everything.. in cluding the choke plate. I'm not sure where it gets caught up because each time i remove the carb and inspect it I can reproduce the problem.

Could also be the solenoid at the back of the carb or maybe soemthing to do with the powervalve. I was also thinking that blocking off the Air Jet Controller ports could lead to some trouble if something got stuck in there or maybe fumes build up, I dunno.

Also make sure the Accelerator pump arm isn't getting caught up on soemthing.

In the end I decided to add a return spring to lessen the chance of the throttle getting stuck like it did on one of my accords, I nearly had an accident cause the revs climed to 8,000 and nothing I could do with the pedal seemed to lower the idle.

dysiu
03-12-2004, 03:11 PM
Thanks for the suggestions. Next time it happens I will just stop and see if something is obstructing the throttle. That should clarify spring and cable...

If this doesn't help I need to do some reading on those Air Jet Controller and power valve and figure out if they can cause such malfunctions... Thanks a lot.