PDA

View Full Version : Drag Only exhaust!

Civvy
06-06-2005, 04:12 AM
O.k. i use my nice quiet exhaust for the street but for drag i fancy something with a little more rasp to it.

Idea is to remove the wheel well from the trunk and replace with sheet aluminium (also good for weight mods)
Remove the stock fuel tank and use my fuel cell on the rear seat/trunk.

thus giving me a straight OBSTICLE FREE run to the rear of the car.

I'm thinking i can just run a long piece of straight pipe from the turbo to the rear.
and thats it.
Comments :welcome:

AccordEpicenter
06-06-2005, 07:41 AM
just have the exhaust end in a turndown before the gas tank

A20A1
06-06-2005, 12:20 PM
Are you alowed to do side exit?

Like by the rear wheel or behind the front wheel

It's not the best chop but it works.

AccordEpicenter
06-06-2005, 12:33 PM
if you want REAL power just go open header. Seriously ive seen guys drop almost .5 sec off their ET just by going open header... yes, it was on a honda

b8er
06-06-2005, 04:45 PM
well iv been around drag racing since i was 8 years old and it mostly been with dragsters and american cars but yea il back epicenter up iv seen both amrican/import cars drop time from just an open header

AccordEpicenter
06-06-2005, 07:01 PM
or you can run a cutout right at the header flange so you can run a full exhaust or open it up. Ive been running the turboaccord with just an open downpipe right under the engine... its not as loud as youd think and the cops havent given me shit, although if i didnt have a turbo itd be loud as all get up

w00tw00t111
06-06-2005, 08:58 PM
Are you alowed to do side exit?

Like by the rear wheel or behind the front wheel
yeah from the header exit flange all you have to do is run a pipe with less then 30 degree angle (I think any steeper angle is when you start to run into losing exhaust velocity) straight out the side. Just make sure that you don't end it right under your feet! It will start to get really really warm and your feet will start to feel nice and toasty which is not a good thing!

Civvy
06-07-2005, 01:49 AM
I'm scared of flames igniting my fuel tank thas all. yea side exit is allowed, but it involves bends and more money.
Talking of running open manifold, this is only if we got a compressor wheel right?

SteveDX89
06-07-2005, 02:39 AM
I think at a track there's no noise restriction. You could probably drive the car to the track. Unbolt the exhaust at the end of the header, run it, put the exhaust back on and drive home. Should be fine turbo or not.

Civvy
06-07-2005, 08:12 AM
I asked because i'm thinking we'll loose backpressure for the n.a. guys!?

Justin86
06-07-2005, 08:24 AM
yea for the NA guys you loose backpressure, but if they have a properly designed header it won't madder. All the power is made in the header the exhaust is just a means of transporting the gases to a safe loacation, just make sure the exhaust isn't smaller then the header collector. backpressure I'd say is good for a street car but for all out drag their engines runs best with out a restrictive exhaust

RobbyKlotz
06-07-2005, 08:24 AM
O.k. i use my nice quiet exhaust for the street but for drag i fancy something with a little more rasp to it.

Idea is to remove the wheel well from the trunk and replace with sheet aluminium (also good for weight mods)
Remove the stock fuel tank and use my fuel cell on the rear seat/trunk.

thus giving me a straight OBSTICLE FREE run to the rear of the car.

I'm thinking i can just run a long piece of straight pipe from the turbo to the rear.
and thats it.
Comments :welcome:

http://www.jegs.com/cgi-bin/ncommerce3/CategoryDisplay?cgmenbr=361&cgrfnbr=158876

You would have to up the size of your exhaust, but personally I like the Mr. Gasket ones, you mount the cable in the car, give it a pull, and you have open exhaust whereever you put the cutout...

just a thought.

bobafett
06-07-2005, 10:35 AM
yeah dude i would just run a cutout or side dump. i dont see much point it geting fuel cell and removing gas tank, and going to all that trouble, if your too cheap to spend some money on ehuahst bends lol

2drSE-i
06-07-2005, 12:13 PM
shes not cheap.....she just doesnt want to lose power on exhaust bends......its for drag racing, read the post before you flame

bobafett
06-07-2005, 01:38 PM
uh huh..... and i would still run a side dump or a cutout rather than run a fucking exhaust tube down the entire length of hte car, even if it is straight...

think about it before you tell me to read the post... oh and btw

by civvy
yea side exit is allowed, but it involves bends and more money.

she is also concerned with the MONEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEY you see...

and even though it has bends, IMO (and no im not a professional drag racer, so its not like im more right than anyone else in this thread) running a cutout or a side dump, will get more power than a straight thru exhaust to the back of the car.

ESPECCCCCCCCCIALY with turbo (which im under the impression this is designed for)

Justin86
06-07-2005, 04:00 PM
yea for the turbo the best exhaust would be the biggest and shortest. You should be able to get a mandrel bend 3"pipe for pretty cheap and besides the downpipe will have about 2 90 deg bends in it allready. from a weight prospective it would be best to have the side dump and a fuel cell, take a look at the pro FWD cars exhaust designs.

Civvy
06-08-2005, 08:59 AM
http://www.jegs.com/cgi-bin/ncommerce3/CategoryDisplay?cgmenbr=361&cgrfnbr=158876

You would have to up the size of your exhaust, but personally I like the Mr. Gasket ones, you mount the cable in the car, give it a pull, and you have open exhaust whereever you put the cutout...

just a thought.

Man i love that! nvr thought of that! but then i could just disconnect the downpipe to the system?
You reckon there's remote ones two? any links or pics??

bobafett
06-08-2005, 09:01 AM
http://www.jegs.com/cgi-bin/ncommerce3/ProductDisplay?prrfnbr=477015&prmenbr=361