Thread: swap info A18

DX User
    Vehicle
    1987 honda accord LX sedan, 2004 honda civic si ep3!!!

swap info A18

I am curious. i am doing a lot of research for what kind of engine to swap into my accord. i was looking through some stats i wondered how difficult it would be to swap an A18 into our cars. beings im starting out with an a20a1, it would be more power for less weight, and with a badder carb, a little porting and valve work it could be a very savage swap, i was just wondering if the linkage and stuff is similar or would i have to do a ton of custom work.

Vehicle
    1989 Honda Accord LX 5-speed, 1995 BMW 525i 5-speed

Re: swap info A18

I think with the same work you will do to an A18 to get power can be done to an A20 and get more. The A18 to my knowledge will fit fine, but i think they only came in Europe. Not sure on that one someone will correct me...
    Sam

1989 Accord LX: Sold with 208k-now somewhere around 230k with new owner

Current:
    2014 Elantra Sport 6MT
    2000 Montero Sport 4x4 (beater, trail rig)

Vehicle
    1999 Penalty Box

Could someone please tell me how the A18 would be lighter? I've always been under the impression that it was essentially an A20 with a smaller bore.

Vehicle
    1988 Honda Vigor

^^i would think it would be heavier cause there would be more of the block there to make a smaller 1.8 bore, not that it would make fuck all difference lol

the a18 only came in japan, unless your talking about that lude engine with the dual carbs, which i dont think youre talking about. if you removed all emissions crap from the a20 you would make the same power as a a18, if not more.

oh and the a18 would be a direct bolt in swap
    Last edited by A18A; 07-15-2007 at 06:32 PM.

Vehicle
    89 LX-i(5speed)

yeah but the early a18 in the 2nd gen lude have better springs....i would just swap the springs over on the a20 so you can rev it up to like 7k with a bad ass cam.

1989 Honda Accord LX-i
    B18c1 swap since 7/2011
    175whp and 132tq
    Redzone tuned

2ndGenGuy

Pretty sure they have A18's in Canada, correct me if I'm wrong. I know for sure they had A16's up there, AKA the EZ engine.

Vehicle
    72 145s my dad has the million k 87 lx

A18's in cnanada no... a20s yes

2ndGenGuy

Oh ok, maybe I'm thinking of that guy on the forum who has an imported A18 up in Canada...

DX User
    Vehicle
    1987 honda accord LX sedan, 2004 honda civic si ep3!!!

i was talking about the dual carb. model. since i have always wanted a dual carb setup it would be perfect. its already set up for it so i dont have to do alot of custom work. just port the intake get big ass webers and if i wanted to port it out to a 2.0 lol. i mean it would be a rediculous swap!

Vehicle
    82 Honda Accord B20A, 76 Honda XL 175, 04 Honda Foreman ES, 83 Toyota shortbox 4x4

Why not use the twin carb A18 head (ET2) on the A20 block. You get higher compression as well as the bigger displacement.
    ICHIBAN!
    "Now, even more better!"

2ndGenGuy

I keep hearing that the ET2 head won't go on the A20 block. I'm not certain why, I hear it's the valve reliefs for the pistons or something... Anybody heard any details about it?

Vehicle
    '87 Prelude DX, '00 Nissan Frontier, '87 Suzuki Samurai DIESEL!

The A18 engine is just an A20 block with a smaller bore and a mutant head and intake. In the U.S. it was used on 2nd gen Preludes (and 2nd gen Accords, but those CVCC and you don't want to go there). Believe me when I say that you do NOT want to deal with those dual carbs. They suck ass. The intake is not compatible with Webers either so it's no use. You could fit the A18 intake with 2 bike carbs but they would have to be huge to be of any benefit. If you want dual Webers you will have to have a custom manifold made; or get REALLY REALLY lucky and find one on ebay. Very rare though.

But really this swap is pointless since the blocks are nearly identical, and the only good thing about the head is the stiffer valve springs. In fact When I rebuilt my A18 I did the following:

Bored cylinders to 2.0L
    Used A20A3 pistons for 9.3:10 CR
    Junked the A18 head, intake, and carbs
    Put on an A20A1 head using the springs from the A18 head
    Put on an A20A1 carb intake with an adapter to fit a Weber 38/38

It looked like this:
    http://bluegreenlabs.com/Prelude/Eng...ineBayNew1.jpg

I say that in past tense because I'm converting to fuel injection with Megasquirt now.

Bottom line is that there would be absolutely no advantage in swapping to an A18. If you want dual carbs just get an intake made up for the A20. That way you aren't doing an entire swap, just the intake and carb(s).

C|

Vehicle
    82 Honda Accord B20A, 76 Honda XL 175, 04 Honda Foreman ES, 83 Toyota shortbox 4x4

Quote Originally Posted by cygnus x-1
    The A18 engine is just an A20 block with a smaller bore and a mutant head and intake. In the U.S. it was used on 2nd gen Preludes (and 2nd gen Accords, but those CVCC and you don't want to go there). Believe me when I say that you do NOT want to deal with those dual carbs. They suck ass. The intake is not compatible with Webers either so it's no use. You could fit the A18 intake with 2 bike carbs but they would have to be huge to be of any benefit. If you want dual Webers you will have to have a custom manifold made; or get REALLY REALLY lucky and find one on ebay. Very rare though.

But really this swap is pointless since the blocks are nearly identical, and the only good thing about the head is the stiffer valve springs. In fact When I rebuilt my A18 I did the following:

Bored cylinders to 2.0L
    Used A20A3 pistons for 9.3:10 CR
    Junked the A18 head, intake, and carbs
    Put on an A20A1 head using the springs from the A18 head
    Put on an A20A1 carb intake with an adapter to fit a Weber 38/38

It looked like this:
    http://bluegreenlabs.com/Prelude/Eng...ineBayNew1.jpg

I say that in past tense because I'm converting to fuel injection with Megasquirt now.

Bottom line is that there would be absolutely no advantage in swapping to an A18. If you want dual carbs just get an intake made up for the A20. That way you aren't doing an entire swap, just the intake and carb(s).

C|

From now on, when somebody asks this question, I will simply refer them to this post.
    ICHIBAN!
    "Now, even more better!"

Vehicle
    89 Accord LX/B20A | 87 Accord Hatch "S" Stock | 94 Civic Hatch CX

Well, the 1.8L used in the prelude wasn't CVCC in canada.

http://pages.videotron.com/omus
    3geez member since July 12 2000

I need these parts!
    https://www.3geez.com/forum/showthread.php?t=67742

Vehicle

This I'm well aware of. I also believe they were a far simpler, more reliable setup. I have an ET2 engine and a spare set of carbs/intake, but have never run it.
    ICHIBAN!
    "Now, even more better!"

2ndGenGuy

Anybody up in Canada ever run into a 2nd gen Accord with an ET1?

Vehicle
    '87 Prelude DX, '00 Nissan Frontier, '87 Suzuki Samurai DIESEL!

Quote Originally Posted by carotman
    Well, the 1.8L used in the prelude wasn't CVCC in canada.
    The 2nd gen Preludes were not CVCC for the most part. Some of the earliest ones might have been but I'm not sure. It's the 2nd gen Accords that were CVCC in the US.

C|