Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: look at my sexy chunk of metal :)

SEi User
    Vehicle
    1986 Honda Accord POS tranny

look at my sexy chunk of metal :)

the guy just finished making it. why the pictures in black and white im not sure. im just waiting for him to sand blast it, port it, and then ceramic coat it and ship it to me. cost me $400USD which isnt bad considering it looks kinda equal length.

thats proof that im not bullshitting when i say im boosting. ive already yanked out my current engine and i just need to take it apart to get measurements fora rebuild kit. after that its just a matter of hooking it all up, breaking the engine in. installing the turbo stuff and then have fun with megasquirt.(just bought megasquirt for the turbo setup)

prob black and white to hide the burns and mistakes depending on how good the welder is. looks decent though
    i would ask for him to take 250 or 275 on them they dont look clean at all on the seams and lots of un even spots

well i would not sheit that money for those in my op, but whatever floats your boat.just looks like it was thrown together in like 30min. have you seen color pics yet that would prob make you think differently about price, just seems pricey for poor work

Vehicle
    1988 EX-i 4dr, 1989 se-i 4dr (RIP), 1989 se-i 4dr (RIP), 2006 TSX

Re: look at my sexy chunk of metal :)

Some of those welds don't look very good, but thats not bad. Probably could have got a better one done here in Calgary for about the same price.

Accord of the Year - 2007

Vehicle
    1988 Honda Accord, CRV B20 swap.

did they use the factory exhaust manifold flange?
    Complete repair manual <---- (click here)

SEi User
    Vehicle
    Quote Originally Posted by Legend_master
    did they use the factory exhaust manifold flange?
    ya, i had to get a flange just for the manifold.
    Quote Originally Posted by reanimator420
    i would ask for him to take 250 or 275 on them they dont look clean at all on the seams and lots of un even spots
    $400 for whats basically an equal length isnt too bad. i think he did a pretty good job considering this is the very first time hes ever made a manifold for an A series engine before.
    he made a manifold for my friends H series engine and the welds themselves look pretty decent.
    all the faults are really cosmetic, but for the price you cant really go wrong i guess. even then, cosmetic junk inside an engine bay shouldnt really matter as its all hidden from regular view
    Quote Originally Posted by Hash_man_Se_i
    Some of those welds don't look very good, but thats not bad. Probably could have got a better one done here in Calgary for about the same price.
    as long as the welds actually hold together good it should be alright. i would have gotten a manifold made locally, but elijah gave me the impression that his manifold costs upwards of $1200. he later told me that a local place would have made it for around $400 as well, but not equal length like mine. the place he recommended had a really good welder there, but why would anything cosmetic make a difference unless i plan to enter shows?

well i would not sheit that money for those in my op, but whatever floats your boat.just looks like it was thrown together in like 30min. have you seen color pics yet that would prob make you think differently about price, just seems pricey for poor work
    ive seen this guys work and the H22 manifold he made for my friend looks very good. the main difference is he salvaged my flange and ordered a flange for his. it probably looks worse then any other manifold cause he salvaged the factory flange, otherwise it probably would have looked as good as my friends manifold

Vehicle
    1988 Accord LX-i Sedan; 1998 BMW 540i/6

you can order an a20 flange from a site. i forgot which one it is, though. i think sq is the squad ordered one. so if you ever need another one, have him use one of those instead. and it doesn't look bad. i almost thought it was just a weird design for a regular header at first, though. and it might not be a b&w picture. steel and concrete aren't very colorful items in the first place.

DX User

At least he has a turbo manifold... he's a lot further along than I am, I still don't know why my car doesn't run

Accord of the Year - 2007

Vehicle
    1988 Honda Accord, CRV B20 swap.

Quote Originally Posted by snoopyloopy
    you can order an a20 flange from a site. i forgot which one it is, though. i think sq is the squad ordered one. so if you ever need another one, have him use one of those instead. and it doesn't look bad. i almost thought it was just a weird design for a regular header at first, though. and it might not be a b&w picture. steel and concrete aren't very colorful items in the first place.
    I think SQ in the Squad got the last flange available.
    Complete repair manual <---- (click here)

Vehicle
    1988 Honda Accord LX-i Turbo 2004 Acura TL 6 speed/navigation

looks good, im not sure if i would have used the factory flange though, but is 1000% better than a log mani, a basic 4 into 1. Looks alot like mine too. What material was it made of? Mild steel? What thickness/size (what schedule?)
    429whp 362wtq A20 TURBO. A20T>*

Vehicle
    1988 Accord LX-i Sedan; 1998 BMW 540i/6

Quote Originally Posted by Legend_master
    I think SQ in the Squad got the last flange available.
    damnit....and they're not going to make any more? that kinda sux. i say sq should get that thing scanned or something and someone can get a couple made for future use.

SEi User
    Vehicle
    Quote Originally Posted by snoopyloopy
    and it might not be a b&w picture. steel and concrete aren't very colorful items in the first place.
    i should have thought about that before i came to the conclusion that it was a black and white photo

Quote Originally Posted by AccordEpicenter
    looks good, im not sure if i would have used the factory flange though, but is 1000% better than a log mani, a basic 4 into 1. Looks alot like mine too. What material was it made of? Mild steel? What thickness/size (what schedule?)
    what makes a 4 into 1 so much better then a log style manifold anyways? i should have asked him to make me a side mount turbo manifold like the other guy has on the boards here

im pretty sure it was made out of mild steel. as for the thickness/size of the piping, im not quite sure. probably somewhere around 16 gauge maybe? runners are probably 1.25-1.5".

what do you mean by schedule though? if its referring to time, then hes had it for almost 2 months cause he got interrupted by several other customers. i told him to take his time as i wouldnt be needing it for a bit anyways, and it gave me a bit of time to save up more cash to save on shipping through his site. he sent me that picture not too long ago and also told me i might have to wait a week as his air compressor and such failed on him. atleast i got to see some progress along the way which i doubt many people usually see. i told him to move the flange outwards a bit so the turbo wont hit the block. the worst case scenario is i would have to run a T3 instead of a T3/T4.

Quote Originally Posted by cke
    Holy boogerville batman.
    I'd hate to see the insides of the welds!
    dont worry, if i remember, ill take pictures for everyone

equal lengeth = all exhaust gases hiting the compressor at the same time

log style = exhaust gases hiting the compressor at different times

equal lengeth will spool the turbo faster and more efficently

Vehicle
    1987 Honda Prelude

That manifold looks good, but i took a few wlding classes at my college and i could probably do better than that if i took my time. not that i'm saying its not worth it, anything is worth a boosted A20...

yeah i could do better but he bought and is "proud" of them so lets see

SEi User
    Vehicle

yeah i could do better but he bought and is "proud" of them so lets see

i probably could have gotten a better shop to weld up my manifold, but what difference does cosmetics make on a manifold if it does its job well enough?

well that is y i said "lets see" b/c those look like holes to me lol

Vehicle
    1988 Honda Accord LX-i Turbo 2004 Acura TL 6 speed/navigation

i hope its at least schedule 40, if its 16 gauge itd probably melt lol. The presence of a collector, and separated runners make the difference between a log mani and a common runner log manifold. I saw a comparison one time where they took a log manifold and ran it on this turbo b series civic, he made 240whp or so, then the only change they made was to a tubular 4 into 1... like a ramhorn equal lenght i believe, then he made like 300whp. Youre gonna be a hella lot more efficient with a 4 into 1 even if it isnt equal length vs a log mani, but log manis are cheap and easy to make. Its a trade off
    429whp 362wtq A20 TURBO. A20T>*

Vehicle
    2005 ES2 Civic, 2018 Toyota 4Runner SR5 Premium 4x4

i like all these people saying they could make a better one. if you can... do it. don't just squash this guys thread by talking smack. i think it looks pretty decent myself and would be worth the 400 bucks just not to have to do it yourself. also if it melts you have some recourse. but if you built one and it melted you'd be SOL. gl with your boost i hope it all goes well for you.

Vehicle
    1988 EX-i 4dr, 1989 se-i 4dr (RIP), 1989 se-i 4dr (RIP), 2006 TSX

^^ I definately couldn't do better myself, however for that kind of money I could get a much nicer one made, and locally too, which is 3 hours away from him/.

Vehicle
    2005 ES2 Civic, 2018 Toyota 4Runner SR5 Premium 4x4
    well see that kind of information is a lot more helpful than the " i could have made a better one"... local meaning calgary i gather from your previous posts? and what kind of price range are you talking about for a better price?

so you get any more pics or even get the finished product yet?

SEi User
    Vehicle
    i spent $400USD on this and it wasnt local or anything, but the only local place that makes manifolds cant make one like mine for that price. they would likely charge upwards of $700USD for one like mine. its currently at the post office, i just gotta pick it up.
    if i had known that i could have had one made in calgary, i would drive the 3 hours for it, although at the time this place was all i knew about along with one other place. i have seen this guys work as my friend bought a manifold off him and the welds and such were fairly nice, so i decided to give him a try. since the place in calgary would have probably gotten it done within a week or so, that would mean id be losing a big chunk of change in the meantime which at the time meant alot. the guy i bought it from took 2 separate payments which made it easier on myself.

Quote Originally Posted by stat1K
    so you get any more pics or even get the finished product yet?
    finished product is in my hands, camera just isnt working. ill try and borrow my friends camera tonight and post more pictures up

due to popular demand by TWO PEOPLE, heres pictures of my manifolds in the link below
    http://s59.photobucket.com/albums/g3...lated%20stuff/
    i measured out all the runners, the outer 2 are equal length, and the 2 in the middle are off by about 3-5cm compared to the outer 2. the welds inside the manifold penetrated conpletely through, but i cant take a good picture of it so i didnt bother. i tried painting it with BBQ paint, but a little degreaser accident killed my efforts.
    feel free to comment on the manifold, the kleenex is on the side

LXi User
    Vehicle
    1989 Accord LXI Coupe

get pics up asap!! i wanna see!!!
    V12 Supercharged Toyota Accord

Vehicle
    1989 Honda Accord Lxi Coupe

looks good. but that pipe being like that would bother me. just cuz its off by a bit. what turbo are you going to be running? sorry i didnt read the rest of the thread if you already mentioned it

Vehicle
    82 Honda Accord B20A, 76 Honda XL 175, 04 Honda Foreman ES, 83 Toyota shortbox 4x4

Pretty doesn't count. A (close to) equal length manifold is worth it, I'm just worried about how they welded steel to cast. If you can get an exhaust gasket, you can easily flame cut a flange, and finish it with a die grinder and drill press.

BTW how much do you guys wanna pay for flanges, I'll make em!
    ICHIBAN!
    "Now, even more better!"

Vehicle
    1989 Honda Accord Lxi Coupe

$80? :d
    Last edited by mkymonkey; 06-29-2006 at 10:48 PM.