Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: My Adventures With Seafoam

Vehicle
    1989 Honda Accord Lxi Coupe

Re: My Adventures With Seafoam

no i think this is just unique to me. i honestly think this is just an exhaust leak.

LXi User
    Vehicle
    1989 Accord LXI Coupe

oh, aight, so when i do this... how did you exactly do it? u just poured in 1/3 bottle under the oil cap???? did you do anything else? or just that?
    V12 Supercharged Toyota Accord

Vehicle

no 1/3 goes through the brake booster. you have to feed it slowly then drown it till the engine dies.

after it turns off, pour 1/3 of it through the oil dip stick lil pipe thing.

then the rest into the gas tank. it says to let it sit for 15 mins but i let it sit for almost an hour. some guys here let it sit 24 hours before they do anything. so its up to you really.

LXi User
    Vehicle
    1989 Accord LXI Coupe

oh, wow. aight.
    lol. newbish q, where is the break booster. lol. ( i know where the dip stick and gas tank are. lol.)
    V12 Supercharged Toyota Accord

Vehicle

its the biggest hose that goes from the IM to the uh...brake booster. looks like a lil plastic can thing. its really not hard to miss

Vehicle
    1999 Penalty Box

oddball question, but do you still hve your cat? i know you're in CA, but that doesn't really mean anything. my truck did the same thing after seafoam. it clogged my cat and it blew out. now i have a horrible leaky exhaust right before my cat. it still flows some, but not nearly as well as it should. that's what i'd check.

Vehicle

yes i do still have a cat. i was thinking something along the same lines as a clogged cat. but even if it is...its ok im going to be installing my new exhaust hopefully soon. like within the next month or so. i already have a muffler, the headers, just need a cat and of course the piping. oh and im going with a high flow

2ndGenGuy

I don't think I'd ever put this stuff in my car. Why do you need to "clean" out your engine when they already run 300,000+ miles without any problems? I think that if this stuff really worked, then the manufacturers would be pushing people to run it in thier engines and doing it during service intervals. It sounds like it would be a cheap, easy way to improve the reliability of a car. So if that were true, why wouldn't the manufacturers suggest it?

Vehicle

i guess cuz its been a secret since 1942. i have seen it featured on two guys garage on the speed channel. so i know other people endorse it

Vehicle
    1990 CRX, 1992 Honda Civic DX (sold, then stolen! :(), 1988 Honda Accord LX (sold + missed :()

I forgot to mention, check your oxygen sensors. Matt says he was having the same sort of problem when he painted his headers and then installed them. He got paint inside the header and it caused the oxygen sensors to get messed up..

What he did was take the oxygen sensors out, use some lemon juice (from a real lemon) on them (the acids help clear out the sensor i guess) and let them dry out and re install them...

or buy new ones.
    Alas, no more 3gee. She was a wonderful car and will be missed..

No more 92 hatch either! I go through cars too much.

90 CRX

LXi User
    Vehicle
    05 Legacy GT 87/accord/lx (rip)

Just fed my 5G a can of the good stuff. After a bit of smoking, it revs like a bike now. F'ing awesome. I wonder how long it will take for the check engine light to go off...

Vehicle

lol ^

your check engine light came on? wtf....check for some codes, you might have clogged 02 sensors...i know i did

3Geez Veteran
    Vehicle
    89 LXi Sedan (sold) - Car free now, with hella bikes

man it seems like everybody who uses this on our cars has problems afterward lol

Vehicle

well it tells you right on the bottle not to use it on cars that have over 100k mi on it

Vehicle
    88 LX-i Hatch (Sold),1989 LX-i Sedan (Sold), 88 LX-i Sedan (Sold), 89 LX-i Sedan (RIP)

Yeah you have to be carefull using this stuff. It did miracles to my old engine but it also clogged my PCV Valve...
    Causing my pan gasket and valve cover gasket to start leaking....

Vehicle
    89 Accord lx, 94 BMW 325i

It should be noted that Seafoam is not recomended to be used on engines with over 150k on the clock... I'd say that is a lot of us!

Vehicle
    89 LX-i(5speed)

my boss has had over 30 cars in his lifetime....i showed him the stuff and he told me not to put it in the oil....he told me at best put it on the gas tank.....i did feel a deference ....i put it the day b4 the SF meet and now the car reves faster. it also bumped my MPG to like 35 but the next fill it i only got 32mpg...anyways ....i dont have a problem...i might put some on my dx to see if it passes smog check.

1989 Honda Accord LX-i
    B18c1 swap since 7/2011
    175whp and 132tq
    Redzone tuned

Vehicle
    88 LX-i Hatch (Sold),1989 LX-i Sedan (Sold), 88 LX-i Sedan (Sold), 89 LX-i Sedan (RIP)

I wonder if this will work for you Messy
    http://www.blueskycleanair.com/pass....TOKEN=16410948

Vehicle
    1988 Accord LX-i Sedan; 1998 BMW 540i/6

hmm...so theoritically, we could "start" a "company" and "manufacture" crap for our cars like cai and get a smog legal sticker on them.

LXi User
    Vehicle
    05 Legacy GT 87/accord/lx (rip)

Quote Originally Posted by mkymonkey
    your check engine light came on? wtf....check for some codes, you might have clogged 02 sensors...i know i did
    Most likely I did. It's time to replace them anyway, so I ordered a pair of NGK ones. I'll replace the pcv valve, spark plugs and the fuel filter at the same time for good measure. My goal is to get 30mpg while revving her up to 5k more often than not.

3Geez Veteran
    Vehicle
    89 LXi Sedan (sold) - Car free now, with hella bikes

Quote Originally Posted by mkymonkey
    well it tells you right on the bottle not to use it on cars that have over 100k mi on it
    lol i know.. but you said yourself "thats a lie" at the top of page two of this thread

Vehicle
    1988 Honda Accord LX

So from what i have read seafoam is great but you have to make sure you change all the filters, on the lines that your running it trough. and maybe even taking your exhaust off until it goes through your system. cause i have a stock cat so i will be betting that it will happen to me. ANother question if you putting in the brake booster hose do you have to bleed the brakes later, just a newb question.
    First Accord 88LX R.I.P 7-19-07 (Might be Jolted back to life at least temporarily)
    Seeking another but only with 5-speed I'm joining the Darkside
    89LX or SE-i(yeah right)

Vehicle

Quote Originally Posted by DDRaptor
    So from what i have read seafoam is great but you have to make sure you change all the filters, on the lines that your running it trough. and maybe even taking your exhaust off until it goes through your system. cause i have a stock cat so i will be betting that it will happen to me. ANother question if you putting in the brake booster hose do you have to bleed the brakes later, just a newb question.
    It's get suck thru the intake by using the booster hose so you dont have to bleed the brakes

Vehicle

yeah you just unplug the hose FROM the brake booster. leave it plugged into the intake mani and let it suck it up. i liked how the engine sounds like its drinking it lol

Vehicle
    1988 Honda Accord LX

dude, i have to try this. I usally pump some Gunk 5 minute motor flush before the oil change, but maybe a bottle seafoam will do a much better job.
    i will have to do this sometime soon. but i will have to have 2 new fuel filters, an oil change, oil filter. etc. cause i see this thing is just super cleaner.
    First Accord 88LX R.I.P 7-19-07 (Might be Jolted back to life at least temporarily)
    Seeking another but only with 5-speed I'm joining the Darkside
    89LX or SE-i(yeah right)