Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Group buy: Rear disk conversion

Accord of the Year - 2007

Vehicle
    1988 Honda Accord, CRV B20 swap.

Group buy: Rear disk conversion

I have been talking with the guy from Fastbrakes.com trying to get 11" rotors for the front of my car and in the process I have been asking him questions about options for the rear of our cars. He let me know that he could make a bracket for the rear of an LX, DX, or LX-i that would allow for rear disk using civic calipers and rotors. you just remove the drum parts and use the same rear hub.

1.He could do the whole setup including bracket, rotors, and calipers for $800.He needs ten orders and he is not sure about the ebrake cables (we might have to get those from the dealership)
    2. He could just make the brackets for around $120 (still needs 10 orders) and we can source the calipers and rotors ourselves.

I don't need this as I already have the rear disk from the sei so if anybody wants to contact him and set this up, here is the web page. www.fastbrakes.com

Let me know if you have any questions
    Complete repair manual <---- (click here)

Vehicle
    1989 Honda Accord Lxi Coupe

Re: Group buy: Rear disk conversion

damn! i already have sei brakes in my shop that havent been put on my car yet. if you would have posted this like in the beginning of the year then i would have jumped right on it

Vehicle

Quote Originally Posted by mkymonkey
    damn! i already have sei brakes in my shop that havent been put on my car yet. if you would have posted this like in the beginning of the year then i would have jumped right on it
    Yea I have the same problem, if this was availeble when I still had drums I would have been down for this also. I think the forum is going to get a nice little bump since that honda tuning issue with adams car, so maybe this will happen.

Vehicle

yeah tell me about it. we aready have a thread about the b20 swap lol.

anyway i say people should jump on this not only because sei rear disks are getting harder and harder to find. especially in a mint condition. plus when you do find them you have to fucking spend 45 to 1 hour (took me like 1hr and 40 mins cuz i didnt know how to do it) to get them off in a freaking jy that either has dirt for a floor or its fucking hot as hell like here in CA. but i say jump on it seriously i know cars brake waaaaaay better with four disks all around.

Vehicle
    1988 Accord LX-i

I would be interested in doing it. I would judt need a little more info on it before sending the money.

Vehicle

i dont think you will have to send your money till he has 10 for sure people that want to buy it.

Vehicle
    89 LX-i(5speed)

i just want some rear disk breaks on my car......

1989 Honda Accord LX-i
    B18c1 swap since 7/2011
    175whp and 132tq
    Redzone tuned

Vehicle

If someone sets this up, I would try and do it where you send the money directly to fastbrakes instead of an individual (cause that always gets confusing).

DX User
    Vehicle
    1986 Honda Accord Lx

this is great news..since I'm going to upgrade the front, now I can upgrade the rear to go along with the front so I dont have to mess with the proportional valve..

i already have an SE-i setup siting in my garage..but..would this allow for a big brake kit?

never can have to much stoping power

LXi User
    Vehicle
    1989 Accord LXI Coupe

wow, 800$, thats a lil steep for me at the moment, but i for sure would love to do it if i got a bunch of money. lol.
    V12 Supercharged Toyota Accord

Vehicle
    Stock 86 Accord LXi Hatch

so $800 for 11" rotors and good calipers/pads/lines on every corner?

you have definetly peaked my interest. zeph and I have been talking about just building a bracket to fit 4 piston wilwoods on the front and 2 pots on the back. then you could use pretty much any pad you wanted! but we know know how the rotor thickness and mounting would need to be addressed.

i definetly want to look into this more. i want the biggest brakes that I can use and still run 15" wheels.... hopefully they can accomodate something like that.

Vehicle

Quote Originally Posted by bobafett
    so $800 for 11" rotors and good calipers/pads/lines on every corner?

you have definetly peaked my interest. zeph and I have been talking about just building a bracket to fit 4 piston wilwoods on the front and 2 pots on the back. then you could use pretty much any pad you wanted! but we know know how the rotor thickness and mounting would need to be addressed.

i definetly want to look into this more. i want the biggest brakes that I can use and still run 15" wheels.... hopefully they can accomodate something like that.
    Actaully that is $800.00 for a full rear convertion from drums to to 10.?" rotors. For the rear, if your sourced the calipers and rotors yourself and used his bracket you could get out for about $600.00 for the rear. If you want the 11" rotors for the front, he can sell you redrilled legend rotors for $100.00 and all you have to do is buy 98 integra typr R calipers and bolt them on (you must have 88-89 LX-i hubs).

Vehicle
    10/Honda/Ridgeline

on the rear knuckle, there is only one mounting hole, there should be two where the second bolt bolts up the caliper bracket to the knuckle. I did a parts source up with the 1st gen legend a long time back and most of them matched up, but the knuckles and few other pieces were the only hurdle. It would be cool to make up something like that, or we can ask our crazy machinist (lostfor a while) and have him do some magic.

DX User
    Vehicle
    89 ACCORD LXI

I installed the legend rear suspension on my lx-i. I used the whole rear knuckles, rotors, calipers, and rear trailing arm. I just wanted to experiment and see if it would fit and to my suprise it worked after some custom work. Originally I just purchased the entire knuckles and tried to swap it in, but the bolts on the knuckles were spaced a little further then the LX-i trailing arm. So I went back to the J/Y and grab the trailing arms from the legend. The trailing arms from the legend didn't match up where it mounts to the body so I had to redrill the holes in the legend trailing arm (side that attaches to the body) and then I was able to mount it along with the knuckles. My stock Lx-i rims wouldn't mount because of the different lug pattern but I had 17" rims w/ a universal bolt pattern. The legend rear suspension raised the rear up a little, but I had GC coilovers so I just adjusted the rears and lowered to match the front. I never got around to matching the lug pattern of the front and rear (I wanted either all 4x100 or 4x114) because I was deployed to Iraq. When I got back I blew the tranny and had enough so I bought a GSR and sent the accord to the j/y. I know don't hate me for doing that. But I just wanted to share my experiences with the Legend rear suspension. Hope this helps you guys out and if not sorry for wasting your time.
    Last edited by CASH24; 07-02-2006 at 11:28 PM.

Accord of the Year - 2006

Quote Originally Posted by CASH24
    I installed the legend rear suspension on my lx-i. I used the whole rear knuckles, rotors, calipers, and rear trailing arm. I just wanted to experiment and see if it would fit and to my suprise it worked after some custom work. Originally I just purchased the entire knuckles and tried to swap it in, but the bolts on the knuckles were spaced a little further then the LX-i trailing arm. So I went back to the J/Y and grab the trailing arms from the legend. The trailing arms from the legend didn't match up where it mounts to the body so I had to redrill the holes in the legend trailing arm (side that attaches to the body) and then I was able to mount it along with the knuckles. My stock Lx-i rims wouldn't mount because of the different lug pattern but I had 17" rims w/ a universal bolt pattern. The legend rear suspension raised the rear up a little, but I had GC coilovers so I just adjusted the rears and lowered to match the front. I never got around to matching the lug pattern of the front and rear (I wanted either all 4x100 or 4x114) because I was deployed to Iraq. When I got back I blew the tranny and had enough so I bought a GSR and sent the accord to the j/y. I know don't hate me for doing that. But I just wanted to share my experiences with the Legend rear suspension. Hope this helps you guys out and if not sorry for wasting your time.

I have talked about swapping in the 88-89 rear suspension off a legend for years and was hoping someone would try it.

So other than where the trailing arm bolted to the body everything else matched up? Did you use the legend or accord strut? I was thinking if you used the legend srut that might have played into the car being higher. Maybe using the accord spring in the legend schocks might have brought it down also if the issue was the accord strut wouldnt fit right on the legend rear hub.

Anymore info you can remember?

Was the ebrake cable an issue?

I know the legend rear calipers use a pad that is almost twice as big as he sei or the civic/integra calipers. Plus the rotor is a little larger also with alot more pad surface area of course.

Vehicle
    10/Honda/Ridgeline

So any news on how he is gonna modify the stock knuckles? Any pre production pics or prototypes of retrofits?

Offtopic: The 1g Legend came with two dfferent Rear suspension designs. One was a coilover and the other is not.

Vehicle
    1989 Honda Accord Coupe LXi

How far down the road is this group buy going to be available? I'm interested, but right now I don't have the money.
    89 Accord LXi Coupe, Tenzo Type II Titanium Exhaust, KYB GR-2 Struts, 2 JL 10's, New Polor White Paint Job, Accel Super Stock Coil, Boss 318 Black Chrome 17x8 Rims, 215-40-17 Ziex

Quote Originally Posted by smufguy
    So any news on how he is gonna modify the stock knuckles? Any pre production pics or prototypes of retrofits?
    Offtopic: The 1g Legend came with two dfferent Rear suspension designs. One was a coilover and the other is not.
    Correct
    the 86-87 Legned use a spring perch with shock mounted on the trailing arms while the 88-89 Lagends Use a rear strut assembly. The 88-89 Legend rear suspension is the one which almost mirrors the accord sei rear suspension. except of course without the bigger caliper and rotor combo.

I'm pretty sure you can swap out the caliper and rotor from the 88-89 Legend and slap it on an sei leaving us with bigger rear brakes.

The front calipers are the same as the 88-89 accords though and I think they might use a larger rotor though thna the Accord.

Vehicle

Quote Originally Posted by guaynabo89
    Correct
    the 86-87 Legned use a spring perch with shock mounted on the trailing arms while the 88-89 Lagends Use a rear strut assembly. The 88-89 Legend rear suspension is the one which almost mirrors the accord sei rear suspension. except of course without the bigger caliper and rotor combo.
    I'm pretty sure you can swap out the caliper and rotor from the 88-89 Legend and slap it on an sei leaving us with bigger rear brakes.
    The front calipers are the same as the 88-89 accords though and I think they might use a larger rotor though thna the Accord.
    First off I think we should make a sperate thread for the Legend rear disk, so this thread dosent become confusing. To correct you a little on the legend suspention some of the 88 models had the non coilover design and some did not. Also the non coilover design was only on the sedan, all the coups had coilovers designed suspention. The rear legend rotors are 10.2" or something and I agree that the calipers prob just bolt right on. I want to know what CASH24 used for bushings since he redrilled the controle arm and I am also curiose on what ebrake cable he used.

Back on topic, I dont know when this group buy will happen because I am not setting it up. I already have the rear disk (so I dont need this) I was just putting the info out for anybody that wanted to set it up.

Quote Originally Posted by Legend_master
    First off I think we should make a sperate thread for the Legend rear disk, so this thread dosent become confusing. .

agreed

I just wanted to share the info.

Vehicle

Quote Originally Posted by guaynabo89
    agreed
    I just wanted to share the info.
    Everybody can discuss the rear legend sus here

Vehicle
    89 Accord LX/B20A | 87 Accord Hatch "S" Stock | 94 Civic Hatch CX

If you want the 11" rotors for the front, he can sell you redrilled legend rotors for $100.00 and all you have to do is buy 98 integra typr R calipers and bolt them on (you must have 88-89 LX-i hubs).
    I guess we could start another thread on this too. Maybe using Corrado discs would be even better.

http://pages.videotron.com/omus
    3geez member since July 12 2000

I need these parts!
    https://www.3geez.com/forum/showthread.php?t=67742

Vehicle

Quote Originally Posted by carotman
    I guess we could start another thread on this too. Maybe using Corrado discs would be even better.

I talked to the guy at fastbrakes and he told me that the corrado Offset is much different then the accord. That is why I opted for the Legend rotors.

Vehicle
    89 LXi Sedan (good); 88 LX Sedan (rusted beater); 88 LXi Coupe (will be 5spd tranny doner)

Question Re: Group buy: Rear disk conversion

I talked to the guy at fastbrakes and he told me that the corrado Offset is much different then the accord. That is why I opted for the Legend rotors.
    Now don't anyone take this the wrong way - I'm not trying to call the guy at fastbrakes a crook or anything... but has anyone who doesn't stand to make money selling custom-drilled rotors tested and confirmed this?