Page 9 of 56 FirstFirst ... 567891011121319 ... LastLast

Thread: Pico's 89 LX-i Build

Vehicle
    88 LX-i Hatch (Sold),1989 LX-i Sedan (Sold), 88 LX-i Sedan (Sold), 89 LX-i Sedan (RIP)

Re: Started Pulling out my Engine and Transmission today (56k I do not recommend)

I decided to finish up the CAI and with the help of Mrs.Picopop we finished it up. And before you say anything about my bypass I bought a AEM one, off of Ebay but I ordered the wrong size so for the meantime I'm going to use the one, it's a cheap one but at least I have something on there. Oh well here's the pics.

So what do you guys think

Accord of the Year - 2007

Vehicle
    1988 Honda Accord, CRV B20 swap.

Re: Started Pulling out my Engine and Transmission today (56k I do not recommend)

It absolutely beautiful in that engine bay, but I do have to tell you that a bypass valve on an intake makes the CAI part completely useless. Try taking a straw and making a slit in it half way up. You will get the same effect, it just makes the air draw in through the bypass valve and not the lower part.
    Complete repair manual <---- (click here)

Vehicle
    87/Honda/Accord LX

Quote Originally Posted by picopop
    So what do you guys think
    All i keep thinking is, "Damn thats a clean engine bay!!"
    I still got to clean mine, ran out of time today.

Vehicle
    88 LX-i Hatch (Sold),1989 LX-i Sedan (Sold), 88 LX-i Sedan (Sold), 89 LX-i Sedan (RIP)

Quote Originally Posted by Legend_master
    It absolutely beautiful in that engine bay, but I do have to tell you that a bypass valve on an intake makes the CAI part completely useless. Try taking a straw and making a slit in it half way up. You will get the same effect, it just makes the air draw in through the bypass valve and not the lower part.
    Thanks Legend
    So I should just go ahead and remove it since I dont plan on driving the car in real heavy rain or thru deep puddles

Vehicle

Thanks Legend
    So I should just go ahead and remove it since I dont plan on driving the car in real heavy rain or thru deep puddles

Well as long as you can stay away from the water, you should be alright. CAI kinda scare me, cause you never know what you might run into driving around. Either way, the bypass valve jsut makes that a short ram.

Vehicle

Well as long as you can stay away from the water, you should be alright. CAI kinda scare me, cause you never know what you might run into driving around. Either way, the bypass valve jsut makes that a short ram.
    It's coming out tomorrow thanks for the info Legend

Vehicle
    1989 honda accord Lx ( cheeseburger mobile) 1989 honda accord Lx-i ole blue

i'm glad to hear that you have the car up an running!

Vehicle

Quote Originally Posted by Cheeseburger
    i'm glad to hear that you have the car up an running!
    I cant wait to test drive the car

3Geez Veteran
    Vehicle
    89 LXi Sedan (sold) - Car free now, with hella bikes

damn that looks frickin sweet... is the battery staying there? how're you gonna strap it down?

Vehicle

Quote Originally Posted by frantik
    damn that looks frickin sweet... is the battery staying there? how're you gonna strap it down?
    I's going to stay there for now, I'll relocate it either to the trunk or move it a little lower than where it sits right now.
    I going to use the original old down, it will still work.

3Geez Veteran
    Vehicle

damn now i wanna order another tube and make one like that lol

Vehicle
    89 LX-i(5speed)

so the AEM by-pass did not fit?

1989 Honda Accord LX-i
    B18c1 swap since 7/2011
    175whp and 132tq
    Redzone tuned

Vehicle
    1988 Honda Accord DX Hatchbacik

Pico make a how to so I can make mine now. I know there is already one, but I want to know how you knew where to make the cuts?!?!?!? Oh, and take a picture so I can see the whole engine bay! IT looks sweet!

3Geez Veteran
    Vehicle

from the looks of it he cut the tube right down the middle of the bend then cut the sides to length..

[edit: actually.. i take that back since if he did that, it would just go at a 90* angle off the tb lol

oh and pico do you have your breather tube connected to the cai too? i need to do that for my car..
    Last edited by frantik; 03-18-2007 at 11:55 PM.

Vehicle

Quote Originally Posted by MessyHonda
    so the AEM by-pass did not fit?
    Nope I ordered the wrong size. I'm going to do like legend suggested and not use one.https://www.3geez.com/forum/showpost....&postcount=202
    Quote Originally Posted by BITESIZE
    Pico make a how to so I can make mine now. I know there is already one, but I want to know how you knew where to make the cuts?
    Ok I'll take pictures of it disassembled so you can see the cuts I did on the pipe
    Quote Originally Posted by frantik
    do you have your breather tube connected to the cai too?
    I have a part for that,I have to drill a hole into the pipe

Vehicle
    89 LX-i(5speed)

Nope I ordered the wrong size.

what size is it?

1989 Honda Accord LX-i
    B18c1 swap since 7/2011
    175whp and 132tq
    Redzone tuned

Vehicle
    88 LX-i Hatch MT

That bypass valve, if properly designed, will never ever go into effect unless the CAI filter is submerged or for what ever reason completely blocked from air flow. With that said, I'd keep it in.
    Honda Parts Connection -- http://www.acurahondaparts.com
    D Series Army Dishonorable Discharge
    BT Defector

Vehicle

Quote Originally Posted by Estimated Prophet
    That bypass valve, if properly designed, will never ever go into effect unless the CAI filter is submerged or for what ever reason completely blocked from air flow. With that said, I'd keep it in.

Can you explain to me exactly how that works, there are no mechanisms inside. So the round filter(bypass valve) realizes that lower filter is submerged and them opens up. Honestly do some research, they do keep the engine from getting water I dident deny that, but they make the intake system not a CAI, just a short ram.

Vehicle
    88 LX-i Hatch MT

Can you explain to me exactly how that works, there are no mechanisms inside. So the round filter(bypass valve) realizes that lower filter is submerged and them opens up. Honestly do some research, they do keep the engine from getting water I dident deny that, but they make the intake system not a CAI, just a short ram.
    Air pressure. Man has used air pressure for many centuries, nothing mechanical at all.
    Honda Parts Connection -- http://www.acurahondaparts.com
    D Series Army Dishonorable Discharge
    BT Defector

Vehicle

Quote Originally Posted by Estimated Prophet
    Air pressure. Man has used air pressure for many centuries, nothing mechanical at all.
    Exactly air pressure, cut a hole (the entire diameter of the straw) in the top of a straw and figure out where the air is being sucked though. It might bring a little air from the bottom of the straw, but most will be sucked in through the hole at the top. It has to do with the path of least resistance. Im not going to whore this thread anymore, if you would like say something else we can start a discussion thread about it or take it to PM's.

Vehicle
    1989 Honda Accord Lxi Coupe

the car looks great! how much do you charge to clean my engine

Exactly air pressure, cut a hole (the entire diameter of the straw) in the top of a straw and figure out where the air is being sucked though. It might bring a little air from the bottom of the straw, but most will be sucked in through the hole at the top. It has to do with the path of least resistance. Im not going to whore this thread anymore, if you would like say something else we can start a discussion thread about it or take it to PM's.
    this is why i dont use one, if it doesnt make sense to me logically i wont use it. i mean if it rains i just dont drive my car i've said it before....thats why i have more than one vehicle haha

sorry for whoringt he thread pico

3Geez Veteran
    Vehicle

It has to do with the path of least resistance.
    exactly... a proper bybass will be more resistant to letting air through than the cone filter. as long as the filter on the end is flowing, the bypass stays closed. once there is resistance on the filter, the bypass opens.

from what I understand the AEM ones stay completely closed unless there is a lot of suction. the cheaper ones probably just use more restrictive filters which might let some air in

check out this article for info on AEM bypasses: http://www.sportcompactcarweb.com/te..._bypass_valve/
    Last edited by frantik; 03-19-2007 at 06:06 PM.

Vehicle
    1988 Honda Accord DX Hatchbacik

^^^Who cares about the damn bypass valve! Let's see some more pictures!

Vehicle

Ok with a little help from frantik and some research, I have concluded that the AEM bypass valve actually does what it is suppose to. All the other "no name" bypass valve I have checked out in person, truly do not work. So if you plan on getting one I guess get the AEM one. Keep in mind that I have read plenty of stories were even the AEM didnt work. Whatever you choose good luck and sorry for the thread jack, I just want to make sure nobody goes and wasit their money then waist their engine.

Vehicle

I'm going to skip using one for now since I drive the Acura now as my D.D. the 3G is now a official weekend car.
    And it's cool about the thread jacking at least it stayed on a subject about the engine.