Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Bad carb?

Bad carb?

Ok now as some of you know, i have a problem that wont go away, my car shuts down after awhile of driving, the rpms would slowly drop while in gear but when i shift to neutral it would drop to 0 then i would have to start it up while rolling.
    Now could this be from a bad carb? i changed spark plugs, spark plug wires, fuel filters, intake filter. its an 89 accord DX carbed (obviously) please i need advice on how to change the carb, what kind to get or let a professional change it please help.

Vehicle
    01 Civic lx auto; 03 Accord EX

Re: Bad carb?

you can get rebuild carb from autoparts store for a few hundred dollars, or you can rebuild it yourself.
    Get yourself shop manual and look through to UNDERSTAND on how to remove and replace the carb.
    Alex.

Quote Originally Posted by shepherd79
    you can get rebuild carb from autoparts store for a few hundred dollars, or you can rebuild it yourself.
    Get yourself shop manual and look through to UNDERSTAND on how to remove and replace the carb.
    WTF is that suppose to mean. i know what to do before i work on something i dont know but i want more advice on waht to do andi want this done right. Before i even touch or start working on my engine i research about it. If you didnt mean anything by it then ignore this post im just a lil aggrivated right now and im sorry.
    Last edited by ahmad89; 01-03-2007 at 03:05 PM.

Vehicle

it means do some searching and learning. Shop manual has all the answers.
    Alex.

i am researching on it but i want to know the best way to do it, also how much would it cost to get someone to do it? i would feel more confident then me doing it.

Vehicle

well, the cheapest way would be to rebuild the carb you have.
    next would be to get carb from junk yard and rebuild it. this will minimize the down time.
    If you deside to buy a rebuild carb from autoparts store, it won't be cheap, but again it would minimize the down time.
    If you deside to take it to some one, they would have to charge you the price of the carb, the labor and some other bull shit. You probably looking at $500-600 bill right there. Plus you never know what they are going to do. Most of the time they will tell you that you need to replace more parts and so on and on. It can end up costing you $1000+
    Alex.

ok how would i go about rebuilding the carb i have?

LX User
    Vehicle
    88 DX 5spd sedan 176Kmiles, 1 owner, stock. (Sold 10/18)

If you haven't tried it yet, I would suggest you first try using Seafoam, Techron, or Redline SI-1 Fuel System Cleaner(my favorite). At least dump a full bottle in a full gas tank and after fully warmed up do some open throttle accelerating, Italian tune-up driving. If it is running well enough to get through that tank of gas.... It's worth a try before you tear it apart. This method has worked so far for me. (88 carb at 142K miles). I went through that stumbling & rough to no idle a few years ago and Redline cleaned it up.
    .....never had the carb open yet.....(yeah I know, knock on cast aluminum)

Vehicle
    1989 Honda Accord LX 5-speed, 1995 BMW 525i 5-speed

Quote Originally Posted by ahmad89
    ok how would i go about rebuilding the carb i have?
    If you download the shop manual, it will tell you step by step on how to take apart the carb, and what gaskets and seals to replace. You can get the rebuild kit from your local parts store, they should have it. I believe the kit is about $20-$50.
    Sam

1989 Accord LX: Sold with 208k-now somewhere around 230k with new owner

Current:
    2014 Elantra Sport 6MT
    2000 Montero Sport 4x4 (beater, trail rig)

im gonna try out the sea foam or the SI-1 fuel system cleaner, im trying to fix the problem by not taking apart the engine thats the last thing im going to do. Thank you all i will let you know when i get results. Right now i have GUMOUT fuel system cleaner in the gas tank once my tank gets really close to empty, i will put in the sea foam or the SI-1 cleaner which ever one i find first. Thanks again.

Vehicle

im gonna try out the sea foam or the SI-1 fuel system cleaner, im trying to fix the problem by not taking apart the engine thats the last thing im going to do. Thank you all i will let you know when i get results. Right now i have GUMOUT fuel system cleaner in the gas tank once my tank gets really close to empty, i will put in the sea foam or the SI-1 cleaner which ever one i find first. Thanks again.
    If the problem goes away. It may come back, so try to get a carb from the junkyard and rebuild it. So when something goes wrong with the carb, you have a spare to put on. It's very simple to remove, you have 4 nuts and some vacuum lines and a fuel line, and a throttle cable.
    Sam

Current:
    2014 Elantra Sport 6MT

yea thats just the carb itself it would be alot better if i had a video guide, i could use my bros laptop to watch it.

i looked at the manual messy gave me and i think i just have to take off the intake and thats it right?
    Last edited by HostileJava; 01-11-2007 at 06:11 AM. Reason: Don't Double Post! Use the Edit Button!

Vehicle

i looked at the manual messy gave me and i think i just have to take off the intake and thats it right?
    Yes, there are 4 nuts holding it onto the intake manifold. After removing those nuts, you have a lines to remove but otherwise it comes straight off. Not that much work involved getting it off and on. It's just the tunning part that may take a while.
    Sam

Current:
    2014 Elantra Sport 6MT

thx russian but i may have found a way to fix my problem thx to ilikevtec.

i tried ilikevtecs method and bubkis didnt work at all it actually made it harder to start and died on me twice when i drove it around my neighborhood, so im going to get seafoam and carb cleaner and hopefuly that will cure my problem. will get back to you guys and thanks again for your help.

is it safe to use seafoam and carb cleaner at the same time?
    Last edited by HostileJava; 01-11-2007 at 06:10 AM. Reason: Don't Double Post! Use the Edit Button!

Vehicle
    89 LX-i(5speed)

i would use one at the time.

1989 Honda Accord LX-i
    B18c1 swap since 7/2011
    175whp and 132tq
    Redzone tuned

Vehicle

yes it is fine. you can use them at the same time. Done it a million times.
    Alex.

ok thx. i will get some tonight.

today i hate my car even more, when i left school it died on me right after i left the parking lot, then died on me three more times on the way home, when i would press the gas it felt like i down shifted. my gas an temperature gauges are way off. Gas gauge tells me its past empty and the temperature gauges keeps moving it moved way passed the cold and then went up near host and then went to the middle. When i put the a/c on the car dies. iono whats goin on. im going to buy carb cleaner tonight and get seafoam and ima gonna clean the hell outta that carb, its gonna be so clean you can use it as a plate. If that doesnt stop my problem then iono what to do....why does this happen to me, every car i got it messes up last car i had the engine overheated and the head cracked, the car after that i got into a major accident with.
    EDIT: when i put the ac on it idles lower russiankid tells me that the boost valve isnt working where can i find it?

now i ask alot of question but i wanna take every precaution and make sure i do it right, when im cleaning the carb do i just spray the carb cleaner inside the carb and the linkages? then do i start the car and let it run for 5 min or somethin?
    Last edited by HostileJava; 01-11-2007 at 06:12 AM. Reason: Don't Double Post! Use the Edit Button!

LXi User
    Vehicle
    '89 LX

While your under the hood, I would check for vacuum hose leaks or cracks. I can almost guarantee that you have at least one. When I was putting my intake on, I found a couple of damaged hose, and once I replaced them, the car ran better to me.

And I usually spray the carb cleaner with the car running.

10/22/06- 120,003 miles 1/09/09- 139,000 miles
    11/29/07- 127,945 miles 3/09/09- 141,000 miles
    03/01/08- 129,000 miles
    10/19/08- 136,000 miles
    Blue 3geez
    10.8.06 Photoshoot
    1.7.07 Photoshoot

ok thx

i cleaned the carb with carb cleaner and seafoam it idled alot smoother but havnt driven it yet, will let yall know if it stalls. I wanna thank everyone who helped me with my problems and sorry if i angered you from my stupidity.
    Last edited by HostileJava; 01-11-2007 at 06:12 AM. Reason: Don't Double Post! Use the Edit Button!

well after i cleaned the carb i let the car sit for half an hour to an hour, then i drove it to a gas station not far away like 5-7 min at the most, the car dies on me, then it tried to die on me again awhile afterwards but i saved it somehow by pressing the gas and then letting off and pressing the gas again and it was reving along with the gas. Thats the only time it did that, it was normal on the way home. I spoke with russian kid and i told him that two of my spark plugs wont fully screw in, tomorrow i will check out the threads and the spark plugs and get a gap measure.

The car didnt die on me when my brother and i drove it for about half an hour, it ran perfect, smooth. When we got home i told him to pop the hood and we saw smoke, we looked under the car saw radiator fluid leaking. It was from the overflow tank or bottle.
    Last edited by HostileJava; 01-11-2007 at 06:13 AM. Reason: Don't Double Post! Use the Edit Button!

Vehicle

are you sure it is from overflow tank? was it spraying under pressure?
    if it was, check your radiator hoses (upper and lower) and also check your radiator.
    best way to do it is just let it sit and idle untill the leak comes back. this way you can see where it comes exactly.
    Alex.

we checked it and its from the overflow tank my bro said it wasnt dripping much it was slowly dripping.

Vehicle

it is probably too full. take it out and dain it.
    Alex.

DX User

Sorry if these questions are insulting or have been answered already, but to help you move in the right direction there are some things that can either be known or assumed.

Is your ignition timing correct at factory spec idle as outlined on the sticker on the bottom of the hood of your car?

Is your idle steady? (no variation in rpm... steady exhaust output)

What does a vacuum gauge read when connected to your manifold vacuum at idle?

Has the engine been overheated?

Does it get hot when its stalling out?

Any noises that have turned up in the engine compartment like maybe a water pump chirp or a belt slipping squeal.

Do you have to add coolant monthly/weekly/daily?

Do you have to add oil between changes?

Exhaust have a color when the engine is warm white/ blue/ black?

You mentioned changing the spark plugs, the recommended plugs are also on the hood sticker as well as the correct gap. Do not use anything other than what is recommended for best results. I missed whether you replaced the cap and rotor, if you did was there anything foreign in the dizzy like red dust or oil?

If you don't have a timing light or a vacuum gauge, you need to either buy some tools or buy a mechanic's time.