Thread: New guy in the forum

DX User

New guy in the forum

Hi guys. My name is Daniel. I'm Colombian but right now i'm doing a master in Spain. My dad bought me a 2nd gen sedan accord 1982. Is waiting for me in CO. as soon as I return. That will be in Dec. 09. Here I have some pics. I'm planning to go retro on it. Maybe lowering it a little bit but is difficult in Col. because we don't get all of the spare parts and cool gadgets available worldwide and i will have to use an auto importer in order to bring them, so not sure if i can do it easily. (Sorry i didn't take the pics, was my mom and my dad took out the wheels to get them inflated so i think suspension went up- probably is at stock levels). Planning as well to patch up rust places (we don't have winter and i do not live at sea so little rust). Maybe mirrors and bumpers color match, if not just black renewed. Not sure what else to do, got ideas, pictures for inspiration? Seems that this cars were not as popular as previous ones in part because of engine swapping possibilities, but still is what i got.

Well as soon as I have more info I would post it or when i go back. Couple of questions to the experts on the meanwhile. Can I use any weber 32 and adapt it? Is because here is easy to get hold of Renault 12 ts weber (32 but obviously not the universal model). Do somebody have measures for a header for the 1,6 engine? Again, i cannot get hold of the cool parts like brand headers, but I could have them casted or made by specialized people on my country. And fin al question, apart from the weber and the header, what else can be done to increase a little bit on acceleration? I think top speed is decent but my dad says that acceleration, at least from start up is lame.

Thanks buddies. I think this is the best resource on the web i have found for 2nd gen.

Vehicle
    '82 Accord DX Sdn

Re: New guy in the forum

Wait, wut?? Left hand drive, with composite headlights.... AND much closer than UK.... [/hyperventilation] Pretty cool....
    It looks to be in good condition. Needs some trim pieces up front obviously, but that shouldn't be hard to find. Smoked tails are sweet. If you want to increase acceleration you need to get rid of that hondamatic. Hell i didn't even know they made them past 1980. A 5speed swap would make you happy im sure.
    Nobody makes aftermarket parts for these cars anymore, other than a couple spring manufacturers, one in UK and in AU I think. It'll be easier to get yourself some springs while you're still in Spain. The weber should be the same, the only factor is the choke as there are a few different types. You would need an adapter also.

Oh BTW, hook your 2g buddies up with some headlights amigo

DX User

Thanks for the reply...Very nice car by the way...and seminoles fan...i always wanted to go there to study.

When i get back to Colombia i could try and search for the lights if you want. Still if you know someone there or in Ecuador, plenty of Hondas where to get the lights.

DX User

its very nice..i see you have broken parts at front

Vehicle
    1981 Accord Hatchback, 1984 Accord Sedan

Wow, how do I keep missing threads? This is a neat car. Probably an EDM model... car looks pretty straight and rust free! Your best bet to lower it is probably to just cut the springs. Lowering springs are nearly impossible to find anymore. Even in the US, there's nowhere to get them. King Springs says they make some, but they don't have a clue what they are making. So you only hope is to order from UK, Spax Springs. It would look good dropped on those factory wheels like that!

As far as performance, only hope is to find a used header online somewhere. Like eBay maybe. And then of course, a carburetor. The bigger you can fit on it, the better. I think these engines will really benefit a lot from a camshaft as well, as the stock cam seems to die off and lose all power at about 5,500RPM to give it a torquey feel down low. I think something that wakes up that top end will really benefit the car. As maybe you can shift some of that torque into horsepower.

Vehicle
    82 DX & 85 EX Accord Sedan Hondamatics

Yeh that needs retro'd.

Could go for rat look quite easily... with suspension & a set of mint rims it'd look real cool. Cheaper & quicker than having to do all the body & trims up.

I was going to put the original wheels back on mine once its fixed, but now I'm not sure??

Vehicle

Quote Originally Posted by 2ndGenGuy View Post
    Wow, how do I keep missing threads? This is a neat car. Probably an EDM model... car looks pretty straight and rust free! Your best bet to lower it is probably to just cut the springs. Lowering springs are nearly impossible to find anymore. Even in the US, there's nowhere to get them. King Springs says they make some, but they don't have a clue what they are making. So you only hope is to order from UK, Spax Springs. It would look good dropped on those factory wheels like that!...
    You know what... I don't think this is EDM...

Yes to the headlights, but it's got no rear fogs and its got the USDM tail lights and filler panel.

Could it have been for the Canadian market?

DX User
    Vehicle
    '85 Honda Accord HB

Quote Originally Posted by 2ndGenGuy View Post
    Your best bet to lower it is probably to just cut the springs. Lowering springs are nearly impossible to find anymore. Even in the US, there's nowhere to get them. King Springs says they make some, but they don't have a clue what they are making. So you only hope is to order from UK, Spax Springs. It would look good dropped on those factory wheels like that!
    what kind of camber issues would he have to worry about if he happened to cut those stock springs?

DX User

Hey guys. Sorry, long time no post. I am still outside Colombia so i cannot give you more specs on the car. Unfortunately we don't get a free market on first or second hand spares so it is difficult to get parts (now my dad is helping me putting it all together, and he is struggling to find any shock absorbers, any suggestions? Monroe or tokiko references?).

I am just posting some new pics they send me. They are now repairing the door and a couple of more rusty places.

I would like to go barely stock on this one, except for the rims and i was planning going retro on those ones. But i accept suggestions. If pics available with the suggestions, more than welcome. (p.s. The radio is going for sure (unless its the original one, but i doubt it), the bumpers are going to be renovated as well for sure, but i don't know how without painting them).

DX User

the pics...it didn't let me post new ones given my low posting rate:

Last edited by mcqueen; 11-20-2009 at 02:43 AM.

Vehicle

Clean interior! I love that dark blue-grey color. Much more subtle than the bright blue-grey from the later 2geez.

Vehicle

Quote Originally Posted by mcqueen View Post
    the bumpers are going to be renovated as well for sure, but i don't know how without painting them).
    I've used this stuff (bumpercoat) to good effect in the past... in fact the '82 in my signature was treated with this stuff about 10 years ago. Has to be available in the US somewhere I'd have thought.

http://www.kolorbond.co.uk/otherproducts.htm

DX User
    Vehicle
    1983 Accord DX Hondamatic Sedan

Linseed oil, don't laugh its what I use on my bumpers, rubbed on with a rag, but beware apparently rags left confined after use can spontaneaously combust, it's cheap and effective.

Works for me, and cricket bats.

Vehicle

^^^ You Brits really know how to take care of the old Accords don't you?

DX User
    Vehicle
    1983 Accord DX Hondamatic Sedan

Retirement car of choice for middle class old farts in the 80's, find one that has been garaged and only used on Sundays and your laughing. About as easy as finding a bucket of rocking horse crap!!
    Cars are not as much of a disposible commodity in GB as in the USA. British cars just appeared that way because they were built crap.

LX User
    Vehicle
    '85.accord.lx.sedan

Quote Originally Posted by accord83 View Post
    Linseed oil, don't laugh its what I use on my bumpers, rubbed on with a rag, but beware apparently rags left confined after use can spontaneaously combust, it's cheap and effective.
    Thanks for the tip, your car is absolutely effing GORGEOUS. Looks like it rolled out of the factory last week, not 27 years ago!

I wish it was easier to get those one-piece, flush mount headlamps in the US.....they look so cool on the 82-83 models. Do we have anybody on here who has em on an 82-83 hatchback?

mcqueen - Looks like you've got a nice, clean, rust free starting point there. Have you returned to Colombia and gotten to play with it yet? Like others mentioned, you should definitely ditch the auto tranny (SZ54 - it isn't a real, 2-speed "Hondamatic"....Honda just continued calling their new H3 tranny by that name for a few years) - it'll be a night and day difference. The 1.6l non-CVCC (which I'm pretty sure you've got) is actually a more desirable motor than the US 1.8l EK1, aside from the smaller displacement. I don't know the exact figures off the top of my head, but it produced somewhere between 5-10HP more than it's larger CVCC cousin and has a better flowing cylinder head....so it should respond to modifications better than most.

Not 100% positive about this, but I think the EK & EL exhaust port spacing are the same...so you should be able to use an EK header, not that they're very common. Weber carb will definitely be an improvement, reground cam maybe, larger diameter exhaust....nothing short of an engine swap is gonna make it a real speed demon, but it'll definitely improve the fun-factor.

Most common "performance" struts I've seen are the Koni red inserts. I drove a car with the Tokicos once and they made a noticeable difference without destroying ride quality. I'd recommend those based on limited experience, but I don't think they're too easy to come by.

DX User

Sorry about the super late reply. I have been looking for a post MBA job and it is quite difficult, specially in recent times. Well regarrding the car i have done the following:

Tingle with the carb (still kind of sputting) but it had some air or something because when you accelerated it from zero, it kind of went down the rpm and then it went up. Also it was leaking fuel. I cleaned the whole interior (seats, trunk mat, and today internal carpet). I changed the radio twice (now i have an old blaupunkt that has aux input), my dad sent it to body and paintwork before i arrived, i changed the rear tray carpet, i changed the thermostat (having cooling problems).

That is all that i remember. I'm not sure if i'm missing something.

New photos posted so enjoy. I am still missing the shocks. I have located a second hand pair but being jobless i have no $ to spend... .

Last edited by mcqueen; 04-01-2010 at 08:54 AM.

DX User

Last edited by mcqueen; 04-01-2010 at 08:55 AM.

Vehicle
    86 Honda Prelude

Clean

1986 Honda Prelude build thread
    1981 Honda Accord (sold)

DX User

How can i upload high quality pics? Those are 8 megapixels ones but flickr turn them to 640 x 480?

3Geez Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by mcqueen View Post
    How can i upload high resolution pics? Those are 8 megapixels ones but flickr turn them to 640 x 480?
    Fixed. Flickr doesn't give you the option? Try Photobucket or Tinypic.

Vehicle

Wow! so clean!!! I always liked the 83's I always thought it was a neat mix between the "Curviness" of the 1st gens and the Straight-edged look of the 3rd gens! Anyhow, good luck with your project!