Thread: audio prob

audio prob

When i start my car, only the rear speakers work and they are really quiet, then as time passes, one of the front ones kicks in, but with a high pitch sound, then the other one does and the high pitch sound(like a dog whistle) is still there, i replaced the head unit a while back, im thinking its a ground wire, or thats what ive been told, where do i find this ground wire?

Vehicle
    88 lx sedan (R.I.P.) / 89 LX sedan(sold) / 89 lxi parts car(towed away) / 87 lxi hatch

Re: audio prob

sounds like u have a short somewere if it was a ground it prolly wouldent work at all cheack all the conections oh and are u using stock speakers

Vehicle
    89 LX-i(5speed)

time to change out 17 year old speakers...geddy put some speakers in and it sounds way better.

1989 Honda Accord LX-i
    B18c1 swap since 7/2011
    175whp and 132tq
    Redzone tuned

I dunno, ive switched out the front speakers before and that didnt help, and ya im using stock ones for now. But i think its a problem with the wiring somewhere

Vehicle
    89 LX-i(5speed)

Quote Originally Posted by mastaofdisasta
    I dunno, ive switched out the front speakers before and that didnt help, and ya im using stock ones for now. But i think its a problem with the wiring somewhere
    have you changed the deck yet?

1989 Honda Accord LX-i
    B18c1 swap since 7/2011
    175whp and 132tq
    Redzone tuned

Vehicle
    88 lx sedan (R.I.P.) / 89 LX sedan(sold) / 89 lxi parts car(towed away) / 87 lxi hatch

When i start my car, only the rear speakers work and they are really quiet, then as time passes, one of the front ones kicks in, but with a high pitch sound, then the other one does and the high pitch sound(like a dog whistle) is still there, i replaced the head unit a while back, im thinking its a ground wire, or thats what ive been told, where do i find this ground wire?

Vehicle
    89 LX-i(5speed)

shut up...you try to read laying down on a 4 year old laptop....while watching Dog the bounty hunter and talking to monkey on aim....life of a postwhore

1989 Honda Accord LX-i
    B18c1 swap since 7/2011
    175whp and 132tq
    Redzone tuned

You should right a autobiography, because your seem to lead a very interesting life, but seriously, where should i check for a bad wire connection or somein

Vehicle
    89 LX-i(5speed)

You should right a autobiography, because your seem to lead a very interesting life, but seriously, where should i check for a bad wire connection or somein
    you should go back to school BOY!....take some electonics clases too....

1989 Honda Accord LX-i
    B18c1 swap since 7/2011
    175whp and 132tq
    Redzone tuned

Vehicle
    1989 Honda Accord Lxi Coupe

why dont you just run new wires to all four speakers. its not hard....ive done it three times

do onething take out the speaker from the back and take out ur car stereo and check the speaker directly with the stereo speaker wire if it didnt make any noice it could be the wire connection between the stereo and the speaker.

Vehicle
    1989 Honda Accord LX-i Coupe

check the grounds and if it aint the gronds or power wire, u have a short...

Well the ground wire is the black wire on the radio, goes to the ground. You can test this by putting an extra black wire between the black wire and the metal of the dashboard frame. If everything starts working you found the problem, but personally I doubt this has anything to do.
    Usually if the ground wire is bad your radio will 1) not turn on at all or 2) cut at higher volume, dim excessively, sound distorted at high volume, but it should act normal at low volume.

I think you have a speaker wire that is making contact with the metal of the car (ground), this usually happens after upgrading the speakers, sometimes you drill a screw through the wire or the terminals are pushing against the metal of the door/back window.
    If this happens usually you will notice that 1) the speaker with the bad connection (or sometimes all of them) will make strange popping sounds when you turn it on, sound very distorted and/or 2) the amp inside the radio gets fk'd because the short circuit frys the output transistors.

I would recommend first a process of elimination. Unmount all 4 speakers, turn on your radio, connect one at a time until you come accross a problem (ex. no sound from one channel, or maybe all speakers cut off when a particular channel is connected). It is, of course, a good idea to use a speaker that you are 100% sure is good, or test your car speakers on your home stereo, make sure they play (don't crank them up)

Do that and I'll guide you along, PM me

As for your dog-whistle song (as impossible as it seems lol) are you describing a sound that changes with RPM? Sometimes bad grounds cause a feedback noise from the alternator that changes in pitch with the RPMs
    Eric
    3geez member since October 12, 2000
    "All this worldly wisdom was once the unamiable heresy of some wise man." - Henry David Thoreau

Vehicle
    1989 Honda Accord LX 5-speed, 1995 BMW 525i 5-speed

Get the good old volt meter and test every speaker.
    Sam

1989 Accord LX: Sold with 208k-now somewhere around 230k with new owner

Current:
    2014 Elantra Sport 6MT
    2000 Montero Sport 4x4 (beater, trail rig)