Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 LastLast

Thread: My 1g Thread

DX User

Re: My 1g Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Hazwan View Post
    Whats that thing beside the radiator, in front of the alternator? Oil cooler?
    yup oil cooler.

looking good 2ndGenGuy!

2ndGenGuy

Oh yeah, that's an oil cooler. Its on the automatics, but what the hell, might as well keep it on the 5-speed as well. There's also a trans cooler for the auto trans on the bottom of the radiator... I don't see why you couldn't use a pump and flow tranny oil through it...

3Geez Veteran Civic Accord Honda's Avatar
    Vehicle
    1995 Civic/ 1988 CRX

i miss having a car with the oil filter in the front of the engine nice and easy to change

1988 Honda Accord LX-i Coupe 123k miles.

2ndGenGuy

^^^ Word, I am going to enjoy changing the oil on this car! No more oil down my sleeve scalding my arm!!

So, I've been looking all over for my dogbone mount bracket. But I can't find the damn thing anywhere. All that I can figure is that I tossed it when I tossed the automatic tranny...

I went to the wrecking yard and pulled the bracket from a 2g Accord with an EK1 in it. I thought for sure that it would work, but turns out that the bracket is much taller than the 2g Accord, as the dogbone mount is actually higher.

As you can see, the one on the right is the 2g Accord one, and you can see how much taller it is than the 1g Accord bracket on the right:

So I took the 2g Accord bracket

Cut the top off and drilled a new hole in it.

Then painted it.

Look how nice it fits!

Well turns out it was too close together to fit the bushing in, since it didn't have the required bend in the bracket for the 1g Accord.

So I just ground down the bushing, and bolted it in. All done! Yay, so now I can hopefully start it this weekend!

2ndGenGuy

Port matched my Weber to my intake manifold tonight.

More info: https://www.3geez.com/forum/showthread.php?p=852375

2ndGenGuy

Fuck yeah I got it all done! It's running and drives and the engine is so smooth and quiet. The front right wheel bearing however, is NOT quiet. It's loud and needs replacing. I'll get some pics or vids up ASAP.

Vehicle
    my other car is a magna :O

Talking Re: My 1g Thread

pics AND vids

seriously well done! am awaiting with breathless anticipation to hear how much smoother my engine is supposed to run and how noisy your wheel bearing actually is. i bet its not as noisy as my mainshaft bearing

you should go around left-handers as fast as possible to see if it fixes itself before doing anything rash like maintenance. after 8 months i fixed my front passenger side tinking clanking clunking pinging dinging percussive tinny metallic once-per-revolution my-bike-has-a-stick-in-the-spokes noise by taking the chrome rim fairing off. this probably wont help your wheel bearing though

2ndGenGuy

Eh I've got another problem now, it's spewing oil everywhere! It's leaking out the damn valve cover gasket around those little tabs where they're supposed to lock in. I'm going to take it apart tonight and see if I can't fix it temporarily with some RTV. In 25 miles, I managed to leak a quart out of the damn car. The good news is, the whole engine bay looks shiny... But it's not exactly what I had in mind....

Vehicle
    86 LX JDM B20A

I just wanted to post in this thread..
    good work, what color is that on the block? I was thinking about doing one catapilar yelloworange, kind of pinapple mango color not school bus color.

Oil leak is not good news, does oil come shooting out like more than 2 ft if you remove the oil filler cap when it is running?

2ndGenGuy

I'm not sure yet. I'll go check it here soon, SHOULD it spray oil out like that?

I noticed there is some water in the oil on the bottom of the oil cap. But there's none in the crankcase and the engine runs really well and doesn't blow any water or overheat. And there's no oil in the coolant, so I think it's just condensation boiling off and blowing out. Might be excess pressure from the steam blowing out oil along with it?

I'm not sure what color that is on the block. I had the guy mix it for the interior and it didn't match, so I said what the hell and sprayed the block with it. I like your idea with the yellow color. That was actually what I was contemplating before. I wanted to do a dark orange and thought it would compliment the car's color quite well. But I just didn't have the money. And this looks good.
    Last edited by 2ndGenGuy; 01-21-2008 at 11:59 AM.

Vehicle
    86 LX JDM B20A

.. two feet out,, nope. That would indicate too much pressure in there, that was just a round about way of asking. lol one foot out, yep you would get splashed a little, fairly normal without any baffling.
    Some of these Asian four cylinders use an orifice valve between the head and block, also a pressure relief around the oil pump. You probably just need to put some miles on it though, sometimes assembly oils and stuff has to work its way around and out. Break in the rings...
    Yep I saw a long block catapillar engine at the truck parts place and it looks pretty clean. I think if would make the A20 CAT tough.. lol ... besides I have not seen one done that way yet. and hey a fav JDM color for the outside the car is similar so JDM yo..lol

2ndGenGuy

Uhh so I guess that PCV is supposed to to go to vacuum. I just have it going to the air cleaner, which may not be enough vacuum to relieve the pressure in the case... Going to try that tonight and see what happens. Hope it works. Plus I guess that you shouldn't run synthetic in a motor when breaking it in... since the rings aren't seating and I'm getting excess blowby. I'll change that tonight and see what happens... Probably a bad combination of the two causing all that oil blowout.

SEi User
    Vehicle
    81 HB LX, 84 HB S, 89 LX-i Coupe

Check you email John.

You can buy a valve cover gasket with grommets in most cases; not sure about an 81 Accord though!. That's the way to go. Avoid the RTV if at all possible! I've had a few Hondas leak at those valve cover nuts. You want the washer and the rubber grommets to be new if at all possible. Good luck on that one... Someone should have a NEW valve cover gasket I would think. Or, are you talking about the corners of the valve cover where it meets the cylinder head?

I've also heard not to break a motor in with synthetic oil. No fast starts, no extended cruising as well as I recall (been awhile). I think you change the first oil at 500 or 1000 miles. I think that's right, but someone double up on that and make sure that's accurate info. Gotta break her in easy as I recall.
    Last edited by offthahook; 01-21-2008 at 04:25 PM.

2ndGenGuy

Quote Originally Posted by offthahook View Post
    Check you email John.

You can buy a valve cover gasket with grommets in most cases; not sure about an 81 Accord though!. That's the way to go. Avoid the RTV if at all possible! I've had a few Hondas leak at those valve cover nuts. You want the washer and the rubber grommets to be new if at all possible. Good luck on that one... Someone should have a NEW valve cover gasket I would think. Or, are you talking about the corners of the valve cover where it meets the cylinder head?

I've also heard not to break a motor in with synthetic oil. No fast starts, no extended cruising as well as I recall (been awhile). I think you change the first oil at 500 or 1000 miles. I think that's right, but someone double up on that and make sure that's accurate info. Gotta break her in easy as I recall.
    Got the e-mail, thanks tons!!!!

Nah it's not the grommets that are leaking, those are brand new, along with the metal pieces on top and new nuts too! You know the litte nubs that stick up and kinda "clip" the valve cover gasket on? Those are where I'm getting the most of the leak. Actually, I looked at it in the daylight (first time we've had sunlight in a month), and its just coming out all around the valve cover. I do think it's the blowby from the rings not seating from the synthetic in combination with the PCV system not having sufficient vacuum. We'll see tonight!

Been babying the car though, haven't had it above 3000RPM. Been taking it only through town, driving it like grandma. Then going to do the oil change at 500 miles for sure. My buddy who is a certified mechanic said that I probably didn't do any harm to the motor, just didn't seat the rings yet and new oil should be good.

Thanks everybody for all the help!!!

2ndGenGuy

Well, I got that synthetic out of the engine and hooked the vent on the valve cover directly to vacuum. Disconnected the brake booster and just hooked it to that line. The oil pukage completely stopped. Definitely a huge deal on those motors I guess is to have adequate ventilation. The weird thing with the PCV system on these cars is that there is no breather. Just the port on the valve cover. This makes me think that is the reason you need vacuum there, and you can't just run it into the air cleaner. I'm sure if there was a breather, it would be ok to do. I actually read about someone putting a vent into the oil filler cap... But I think if I just build a catch can, and hook it to vacuum, that should work perfectly. Oh yeah, I need a check valve too. If you are on the gas and suddenly let off, the car dies, and I'm sure it's got to do with the breather going straight to the intake manifold. The engine slows down before vacuum can build up in the crankcase again, and it dies.

Even Honda's original PCV system wasn't too bad. It was simple and kinda elegant really. It kinda had it's own catch can of sorts that appears to take the gases into the air cleaner, yet keep vacuum in the little canister that separates moisture from the gasses. The system on the 2g was kinda lame, and just sucks all that crap straight into the manifold. No separation of anything.

Cool stuff. I love all the little systems and figuring out how they work. If anybody knows the right way that thing works, or if I'm spot on... lemme know.
    Last edited by 2ndGenGuy; 01-21-2008 at 11:21 PM.

Vehicle
    86 Honda Prelude

Do you have pics of the engine fully assembled?

Mines having a small leak on the valve cover, even with new Honda gasket and washer and grommets. Don't know if this also related to the PCV problem you're having.

1986 Honda Prelude build thread
    1981 Honda Accord (sold)

Vehicle
    2012 Civic si, old bikes.

just let the oil spew and think of it as rust prevention

Vehicle
    86 LX JDM B20A

http://www.filtercouncil.org/techdata/tsbs/94-2R1.pdf

pretty good primer article on PVC

http://www.autoshop101.com/forms/h63.pdf

another one with PICTURES< yay !

Vehicle
    '82 Accord DX Sdn

On my 2g ek1 their was a vacuum hose going from the breather to a port under the air cleaner. I just put a breather filter on it because i didn't want that crap in my weber. I might temporarily hook it up right and see if my car runs any better.

Vehicle
    82 Honda Accord B20A, 76 Honda XL 175, 04 Honda Foreman ES, 83 Toyota shortbox 4x4

I always thought that the breather was there to replace the air that was sucked out by the PCV system with clean, filtered air. Although even after a rebuild, my 22R still barfs oily air out of the breather, like it's not supposed to.
    ICHIBAN!
    "Now, even more better!"

Vehicle
    my other car is a magna :O

i had an oil "leak" from the same place, the result of plugging the PCV valve where it exhausts into the air filter drum with a pen cap wrapped in fabric. it seemed like a good idea at the time to determine where the small oil droplets were coming from in the intake.

i then immediately attempted to drive to a freinds house 40km away and about 1/3rd of the way there it abruptly ejected at least half the engine oil. i only noticed when i spotted the smoke cloud and the cars behind dodging out of it

it couldn't build up *that* much pressure under there without the pen cap or some other line giving way, so i concluded that the rocker cover gasket just doesnt hold much pressure. any excess blowby or a slightly deficient seal would make it leak like hell from whereever it so wished.

so you're right i think. its just sensitive and you upset it with your fancy oil. i took the little plastic pot off the bottom of the filter drum and its pretty simple, just a baffle to separate the goo from the gas. theres also baffles in the top of the rocker cover. if you plugged the associated ports off and just put a vent filter on the rocker cover outlet it'd probably be fine.

also my engine is a long way from fresh but the blowby is barely enough to lift oil droplets out of the open oil filler hole, either hot or cold.

2ndGenGuy

Man those articles on crankcase ventilation were interesting. It makes me worry about just using a vacuum line or a catch can to try to capture the blowby gasses. I do enjoy getting on the gas once in a while, and under throttle, is when maximum blowby is created, and there is minimal vacuum to pull the excess blowby out of the engine.

I figure if I use a catch can to catch all the rubbish that spews out of the engine, the can will also keep vacuum hopefully under load, just like those silly canisters that Honda puts all over the engine bay stock. And if I put a smaller vacuum hose on the outlet, it should keep the car from stalling out I'm thinking when I come off the throttle.

Ccord, I would take off that breather, since that is where stuff is supposed to come OUT of the engine. The filter traps all that crap in there (moistures, and some gasses) and won't let it out of your engine. Especially worse when the filter gets clogged up.

And Tomato, your engine bay looks exactly like what mine looked like the first few days. I just took mine to a pressure washer to clean it all out, and it's nice and shiny now again. The wierd thing is, I didn't plug mine, I ran a 3/8 inch tube into my air cleaner, so I think the critical thing is to make sure you've got vacuum on it.

Relating to what guyhatesmycar said, there actually is no breather on the early E motors to allow air into the system. I think that's why vacuum is so important to have hooked up to prevent the excess blowby. The later E motors and all Honda engines afterwards had a breather to bring in fresh air, and they expelled the crap out the valve cover.

Here's a good thread I found on 1stgencivic.com that might explain a few more things as well:

http://www.1stgencivic.org/world/c1z...&highlight=pcv

The early Civics shared the same basic designs in the engines, and a lot of them swap to EK or EL motors, so all that info is totally relevant to our motors.

Vehicle
    79 Accord hatch, 89 CR-X SiR, '74 Z360 h/top, '81 prelude, '65 S600

Congratulations on having it running.
    The new exhaust manifold on it already?

Hope the wheel bearing hasn"t ground into its hub yet. A shame it couldn"t wait till you had to replace the brake disc's or something, when it'd need replacing anyway.

Mine would leave a pool of oil in the air cleaner as well after hard driving. From memory I added a thin piece of fabric accross the opening to the factory "catch-can" under the air cleaner to lightly filter the air passing through it, though even that may have been enough of a blockage, since the engine does have a small oil leak....
    A few more baffles in a slightly larger factory style "can" ( so the filtered oil can drain back down into the cam cover ) ?
    Last edited by 79cord; 01-24-2008 at 09:12 AM.

Vehicle
    1989 Honda Accord Lxi Coupe

wow i just skimmed through your progress...fucking awesome love the color choice for the motor dude.

maybe in the future, after the rg, ill try to restore one of these...maybe

Vehicle
    86 LX JDM B20A

yes, that interior is uber streight man !
    is there a baffle of sorts inside that hump on the valve cover?

Oh yeah that autoshop101 link, I was looking at that from the home page, it goes to a free online subject outlined automotive theory class, also it has ASE prep tests to go with some subjects, if any of you get time it is well worth surfing around on. Free and printable

You have done a lot of work in a short time once you got in to it, much respect and kudos for the progress 2ndGenGuy