Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 1989 Accord That Was Suppose to be a Joke

Vehicle
    1989 Accord LX, 1976 Nova, 1980 Plymouth TC3, 1985 AMC Eagle

1989 Accord That Was Suppose to be a Joke

I was looking around for a cheap car and found a 1989 Honda Accord 5spd on craigslist for $300. The ad stated it would make a great derby car or could be driven as a beater. I went to go look at it and there is not a dent in the car, and only 176k miles on it. The only problems where severely worn front upper ball joints and a stripped oil drain plug. I've always been a big fan of good old American muscle (my other car is a 1976 Chevy Nova.... 4dr with about 300hp and soon to be 4spd lol), and riced out Hondas, Toyotas, Mitsubishis, etc always make me laugh so I deiced I would buy it and rice it out. Problem is I've grown to really like the little car, but that didn't stop me from putting a 6ft wide wing on the back. Now I'm starting to actually get serious with it. After the mount on my speed sensor snapped off the trans, I've been trying to find a cheap used one ($220 for a new one at autozone, $170 on eBay). I checked craigslist again and there was another 1989 Accord for sale for $500 and it was literally right down the road from my house. I went to look at it and found out that it was a 5spd LXi with almost brand new tires. The owner said it was only parked due to him buying a new truck. It started right up, and ran a hell of a lot smoother than my carbed one. Only problems are a cracked windshield (bad enough not to pass inspection), worn ball joints, cracked and leaky sun roof, rust in the rear quarters, molded carpet (damn sun roof) and 289k miles on it. The gears in my head started turning, and I realized not only do I have a speed sensor and new tires, but everything I need to swap mine to EFI. I offered the guy $350, and he said he would take $400. I had $390 with me and he said it was close enough and I drove it home. Defiantly had a lot more power than my carbed Accord, and even with 289,000 miles on it it had no trouble reving up to 6k before I shifted with no smoke or even a hint of any noises (A20s must be though little engines ). If all goes to plan, this week I will be tearing them down and converting my other Accord to EFI. I realize how much work it will be, but my other one is in a lot better shape and after driving the EFI one, the power gains are defiantly worth it. I would have probably gone with a Weber carb, but for what I paid for a whole car with EFI, speed sensor, and a lot of other little pieces I need, I think I'm making a good decision. I'll definitely make a post on the conversion complete with pictures. I'm going to drive it till either the motor or the clutch goes, then its getting a complete rebuild, head ported and polished, OBD-I conversion, and possibly turbo.

Two-tone rattle can primer job FTW (it was like that when I bought it, most likely painting it black or blue)

Nasty interior, but it cleaned up nice (full of tools now, and I forgot to take pics after I cleaned it)

I would eat off the engine. That was when I first got it too.

Only damage on the whole car, luckly my parts car's eye lids are in good shape.

I believe the best way to describe this pic would be... . Notice the empty flower pots and cardboard boxes holding up the exhaust and the huge ass fart can. For a cheap $115 shipped catback system for a 90 to 93 Accord it sounds pretty good, not really all that deep but it doesn't have that classic rice fart sound. Good price if you need stainless 2.25in exhaust, it just needs to be shorted before the resonator and you will have to find new spots for some cheap universal hangers (which I have yet to do, hence the need for the pots and boxes).

Almost too good to use as a parts car. There are lots of parts I can use, and I will make good use of it and not let it go to waste. After I strip what I need off of it, I would rather sell it so someone than sell it for scrap. I'll make a post in the for sale section once I'm done with it.
    Last edited by Shilo; 08-09-2010 at 05:33 PM.

Vehicle
    86 hatchback, 1990 Lincoln Towncar

Re: 1989 Accord That Was Suppose to be a Joke

since you have a complete running parts car, you have every single piece you need to put in the FI motor, they were designed for either system, it just depends on what parts went on at the factory on the line. you will need to do things like swap the tank, fuel lines etc, but everything will bolt in. harness is going to be the biggest job, but it will also go in like factory.

Vehicle

Quote Originally Posted by lostforawhile View Post
    since you have a complete running parts car, you have every single piece you need to put in the FI motor, they were designed for either system, it just depends on what parts went on at the factory on the line. you will need to do things like swap the tank, fuel lines etc, but everything will bolt in. harness is going to be the biggest job, but it will also go in like factory.
    I was reading carotman's guide, and the only thing I think will give me some trouble is getting the interior back together. It will be worth it though, especially if I decide to boost it, or go to a JDM B20A. If I remember correctly, doesn't the JDM B20A uses the same wiring harness and ECU as the USDM A20A3?

Vehicle
    86 hatchback, 1990 Lincoln Towncar

Quote Originally Posted by Shilo View Post
    I was reading carotman's guide, and the only thing I think will give me some trouble is getting the interior back together. It will be worth it though, especially if I decide to boost it, or go to a JDM B20A. If I remember correctly, doesn't the JDM B20A uses the same wiring harness and ECU as the USDM A20A3?
    the interior is easy, just be careful of the clips and bag up all the hardware and label it, I know every nut and bolt on the interior by heart, but you probably don't. I have all mine in a bucket, but I know where each one belongs.

Vehicle

Quote Originally Posted by lostforawhile View Post
    the interior is easy, just be careful of the clips and bag up all the hardware and label it, I know every nut and bolt on the interior by heart, but you probably don't. I have all mine in a bucket, but I know where each one belongs.
    Ya, the only thing I've had apart in the interior is the center console when I put in my short throw shifter. Said it was for a Civic and I thought it can't be that different. The ball was a little bigger, nothing a grinder can't fix. But, the shift rod hit the torque rod in first gear. I had to cut out a piece out of the torque rod where it was hitting then welded a piece of angle iron in behind the area I cut out to keep it from flexing. I haven't driven it yet though, but I think it should hold.

3Geez Veteran Civic Accord Honda's Avatar
    Vehicle
    1995 Civic/ 1988 CRX

sweet!! haha gotta love the giant wing!! never seen one that big before but there great for laughs now a days

looks like a fun project, fast ricer car for shits and giggles ftw

1988 Honda Accord LX-i Coupe 123k miles.

Vehicle

Quote Originally Posted by Civic Accord Honda View Post
    sweet!! haha gotta love the giant wing!! never seen one that big before but there great for laughs now a days

looks like a fun project, fast ricer car for shits and giggles ftw
    EXACTLY!!!. Wouldn't it be something for it to look all out rice, but be fast as shit? After the EFI conversion, CAI, exhaust, and a few other little things it isn't going to be THAT fast, but will certainly have more pep than my 4000lb 112hp AMC Eagle . But seriously, that Eagle is insane in the snow. Got a big blizzard last winter with about 3ft of snow. Snow was up to the bumper, but it just pushed right on threw it. Best 4x4 I've had, as long as the vacuum switch for the transfer case is functioning .

Accord of the Year - 2007

Vehicle
    1988 Honda Accord, CRV B20 swap.

Awesome how the 3gee bug can bite you! I really like the green sedan better, why not just swap the block, and tranny from the black and white one to the green one plus all the other good parts. Then you don't have to worry about moving the whole harness as well. Good luck!
    Complete repair manual <---- (click here)

LXi User
    Vehicle
    '13 Honda Civic LX

I'm with Legend all the way it is kind of funny what these cars do to you, get her cleaned up and all nice looking!
    Flickr | Facebook

2013 Civic Coupe

Vehicle

Quote Originally Posted by Legend_master View Post
    Awesome how the 3gee bug can bite you! I really like the green sedan better, why not just swap the block, and tranny from the black and white one to the green one plus all the other good parts. Then you don't have to worry about moving the whole harness as well. Good luck!
    I would, but I hate sun roofs . Plus the green one has some rust issues. The time it would take to patch it up with fiberglass and bondo, or cut the quarters out of my other one, I could swap the harness. The primered one only has a small spot of surface rust on the roof, and I won't have to worry about having any bondo falling apart in a few years . Hopefully, I can get started on the conversion later this week .

And, I think the 3gee bug has bitten me........... HARD . Next thing I know, the whole yard will be full of them .

LXi User
    Vehicle
    '13 Honda Civic LX

Next thing I know, the whole yard will be full of them .
    You can be like Matt! aka A18A
    Flickr | Facebook

2013 Civic Coupe

Vehicle

Quote Originally Posted by Mellexx View Post
    You can be like Matt! aka A18A
    Lol I've seen his pics. How many does he have???????

Vehicle
    1989 Accord LX Sedan / 2000 Accord EX v6

cut the roof off the green one and send it to me plx, kthanx
    Originally posted by ShiRen:
    Nice car or not, nobody likes losing a race to an old 4 door Honda.

LXi User
    Vehicle
    '13 Honda Civic LX

Lol I've seen his pics. How many does he have???????
    I've counted at least 5 3g's alone in one pic
    Flickr | Facebook

2013 Civic Coupe

Vehicle
    89 Accord LX/B20A | 87 Accord Hatch "S" Stock | 94 Civic Hatch CX

It's nice the 3g grew on you!

If you need hints on the EFI conversion, feel free to ask. It's not complicated, just time consuming.

http://pages.videotron.com/omus
    3geez member since July 12 2000

I need these parts!
    https://www.3geez.com/forum/showthread.php?t=67742

Vehicle
    1989 Accord LX-i

Yay! Another 3g addict! It's great to see you taking care of the car. Best of luck with all the work.
    Dr_Snooz

"I like to take hammers, and just break stuff, just break stuff." - Beavis

1989 Honda Accord LX-i Coupe, 240k miles, MT swap, rear disc swap

Shop manual downloads available here: CLICK TO VIEW

Vehicle

Quote Originally Posted by carotman View Post
    It's nice the 3g grew on you!

If you need hints on the EFI conversion, feel free to ask. It's not complicated, just time consuming.
    If it wasn't for me stumbling upon your guide, I probably would have not gotten the idea to do this in the first place . I wasn't playing on doing any major mods to it, but know I just can't seem to help my self.

Vehicle
    1999 Penalty Box

A18A has almost as many as I have... And I've gotten rid of 2 of them.

Vehicle

Quote Originally Posted by Vanilla Sky View Post
    A18A has almost as many as I have... And I've gotten rid of 2 of them.
    You can never have too many .

Vehicle
    '88 Accord LX, '87(?) LX-i

I'm going to look at an SE-i tomorrow with 125000km... my family is starting to dislike the buildup of 3geez.
    Quote Originally Posted by 89T View Post
    I'll just try not to want to choke the fuck out you every other time you post. lol!

LXi User
    Vehicle
    '13 Honda Civic LX

Quote Originally Posted by canadian357 View Post
    I'm going to look at an SE-i tomorrow with 125000km... my family is starting to dislike the buildup of 3geez.
    Good luck on that se-i I guarantee my family is going to hate on me too I'll probably end up having at least 3 cars filling up the street within the first year of buying my 3gee
    Flickr | Facebook

2013 Civic Coupe

Vehicle

3geez are like potato chips, you can't have just one .

3Geez Veteran Civic Accord Honda's Avatar
    Vehicle
    1995 Civic/ 1988 CRX

i had 2 (88 lxi and 87 dx parts car), and my parents had 2 before that(87DX hatch bought new, and 89 sei coupe), now i have none

1988 Honda Accord LX-i Coupe 123k miles.

Vehicle

Quote Originally Posted by Civic Accord Honda View Post
    i had 2 (88 lxi and 87 dx parts car), and my parents had 2 before that(87DX hatch bought new, and 89 sei coupe), now i have none

LXi User
    Vehicle
    '13 Honda Civic LX

Cah needs to buy himself a new 3gee now and ship me one! I'm seriously jealous of everyone else's immense selection of 3geez for sale I find maybe one clean and one rusted out pos for sale every two months
    Flickr | Facebook

2013 Civic Coupe